Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legalities of fundraising idea for playgroup!

(3 Posts)
HowlingCow Mon 09-Nov-09 21:38:30

Someone at the playgroup I help run has suggested we have a float on a trailer pulled by a van, with a Santa sitting on the back, music etc to help raise money this christmas. Do we need a licence for this, risk assessment type stuff? Do we need to inform the police ? Any ideas?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 09-Nov-09 21:56:26

You'll probably need authorisation from the local authority and / or the police to have a slow moving vehicle on the street. And you'll certainly need a licence from the local authority to be able to collect on the street. You'll need to get the float, plus no doubt spend money on decorating it. And I don't know if the vehicle pulling it will need to talk to their insurance company.

Need for risk assessments will probably depend on who runs the playgroup and what their insurance requirements are.

Sorry to be negative. It is doable but it will take a lot of organisation, and I don't think it will earn you any more money than, say, a bag pack at your local supermarket.

islandofsodor Mon 09-Nov-09 21:57:01

You would need public liability insurance and the vehicle would need to be insured for commercial use.

Santa and probably the helpers would need to be CRB checked I guess.

As for informing the police, I have no idea. If you were going so slowly along major roads so as to cause slow traffic I suppose so, if not, I don;' know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now