Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Leather chair - how long should it have lasted?

(3 Posts)
Cosette Fri 23-Oct-09 13:25:28

DH bought a rather nice black leather chair from John Lewis 4 years ago at the cost of £400. When he went to sit in it last night it collapsed on him, and upon investigation one of the key metal supports has split apart from another metal piece, so it is now totally unusable.

We contacted the store (as we still had the purchase details on email) and were told that it was just normal "wear and tear", and there was nothing that they would do.

Now our view is that we would have expected a chair at that price to have last significantly longer than 4 years, and therefore that it was not of "satisfactory quality". In fact we have a similar (but not so nice) one from IKEA which was considerably cheaper, and is going strong after 15 years.

So my question is, is there anything we can do, or do we have to accept their verdict of "wear and tear". I've had a look at the Sale of Goods Act, and it seems the onus would be on us to prove the quality unsatisfactory - not sure what evidence would be needed for that. DH is normal weight for his height btw and is the only one (apart from the cat) that tends to sit in the chair, so it has not been misused.

This is the chair - no longer available at John Lewis.

Is it worth pursuing or do we just move on?

Miggsie Fri 23-Oct-09 13:28:06

Try "consumer direct" as there is definitely a law saying the goods should be satisfactory and fit for purpose and 4 years in not a satisfactory lifespan for a chair I would say.

We have an old leather chair form MFI which is 25 years old and still going strong.
4 years is too short a life.

Cosette Fri 23-Oct-09 17:46:10

ah yes - will give them a call - thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now