Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

can jury direct a question?

(3 Posts)
OldieButGoldie Fri 09-Oct-09 23:15:41

About 5 years ago I was called for jury duty and ended up on the jury.

Something that has bugged me ever since was that there were so many unanswered questions.

I was desperate to ask several questions, which obviously neither the prosecution nor defence were. I felt unable to sentence someone with such flimsy evidence.

The crime was found not proven (Scottish law) whereas I voted not guilty on the grounds that nothing had been proven to me.

Is it not possible for the jury to direct a question to a person in the stand? How can you judge when your questions have not been answered?

OldieButGoldie Fri 09-Oct-09 23:19:53

is that there were

Ghanamafia Wed 14-Oct-09 14:11:49

Yes. You write it down and pass it to the judge, usually, who will then read it out or hand it to one of the barristers/advocates to read out.

Juries can ask questions of a particular witness, or just ask generally,or ask for a bit of the transcript from an earlier part of the hearing to be read back, ask to see exhibits again and even ask to inspect the place where something is said to have happened. The requests are not always agreed to but any jury member can ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now