Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

er ... a long shot but restrictive covenenants on a house anyone??

(5 Posts)
Slambang Tue 06-Oct-09 19:36:38

Any bright sparks up on property law care to enlighten me?

We want to build an extensions and have a covenenant on our house (over 50 years old) saying we can't build an extension without the original architect's permission. The original vendor still apparently exists as a ltd company. Do we have to try to track down this (very likely non existent) architect through the vendor company? What risks do we run if we build without tracing them?

ABetaDad Tue 06-Oct-09 19:41:37

My parents got a restrictive covenant removed on their house that was redundant. Not sure the proces sbut your solicitor should advise. It is quite common to get them removed apparently.

Lilymaid Tue 06-Oct-09 19:43:54

info from Land Registry on restrictive covenants. In theory, you do need to agree with architect, but you might be able to get agreement to release covenant.
Methinks it is something that a good solicitor would sort out for you.

cece Tue 06-Oct-09 19:47:13

We have just built an extension with one of these on our house. When we bought the house our solicitor at the time said that after building an extension you can buy something called an indemnity insurance? Hope I am right, as it is built now!

Slambang Tue 06-Oct-09 19:54:06

Wow - this is why I love MN. Instant helpful answers. THank you all for answering. So it looks like a)going the legal route and getting it removed or b) buying the insurance.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now