Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Inheritance tax

(4 Posts)
Jux Sat 19-Sep-09 17:53:37

Should this be here or in money matters?

My mum died last week; we're all OK and everything is being organised etc etc etc. She was very very worried about inheritance tax though I'm sure her estate won't be anywhere near the level required. Does anyone know what it is? And what are death duties?

TIA

LIZS Sat 19-Sep-09 17:58:09

sorry for your loss. IHT is the same thing as Death duties (it changed a good while abck). Current threshold is £325k and you may also be able to claim an additional allowance if her husband died and left hsi estate to her. Info here

said Sat 19-Sep-09 18:00:53

Death duties is just another phrase for IHT. Think level is £325,000 atm. Tax only due on amount over this. I'm very sorry your mum has died.

Jux Sat 19-Sep-09 21:35:08

Thank you both. She was 84 and the last 10 years were a slog for her; she's missed my dad for the last 20years, and really, was looking forward to seeing him again. She was in reasonably good health until a few months ago, dx 3 weeks ago, so it was all very quick and we are all happy that she's were she wanted to be for such a long time. Sorrowful, but not sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now