Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Speeding fines

(3 Posts)
Jaymyster Thu 17-Sep-09 13:45:03

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this but my partner was caught speeding (37 mph in a 30 mph zone) in his works van. The police issued a speeding notice to his employer for them to confirm who was driving. Which they did and was advised that a notice will then be served to my partner at home within about 4 weeks. Its now been 7 weeks and weve not heard anything, do you think we can now relax?

nigglewiggle Thu 17-Sep-09 21:12:04

They have to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) within 14 days. Did they serve this on the employer at the same time? If not, I would say he can count himself lucky. If they did, then something may still be in the pipeline.

Hope the worry has slowed him down

SalVolatile Sun 20-Sep-09 21:53:40

No, sorry, not sure you can relax: in fact, it may be possible that it has got caught up in the post. If it arrives late then you may find that the deadline for responding to the notice has expired. If so, don't ignore it: contact the number on the NIP and they should still issue you with the Fixed Penalty Notice. The notice sent to your partner's employer asking him to give details was a Notice of Intended prosecution under S 172 of the Act so would have been firmly within the 14 days from the offence. If you hear nothing at all for several weeks then it may be worth contacting the DVLA to check your licence as the matter can be proved in court in the driver's absence if no response from anyone is received and points put on his or her licence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now