Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

URGENT- pls need advice on debt recovery- poss id thieft.

(8 Posts)
mel1981 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:02:55

I dont have a lot of details atm im afraid but ive just received a letter from a debt recovery company saying that they 'have failed to receive a response to pervious corrrespondence and have made tracing enquiries for confirmation of your current place of residence. Information has been received confirming that your address details have changed to this address.'
It doesnt say who I owe money too, how much what pervious address (ive lived here for almost 3 years).
Does this sound normal? I dont owe money from previous a address...but I was moved by housing ass due to rebuilding our flats and we were 1st to go from our block but we had mail redirected to present address.

Im gonna ring them later but does anyone have any tips in how to deal with it? Obviously im not paying any money now and want to avoid giving any personal details just incase.
But im really no good with stuff like this.

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 13:04:35

I would first of all contact trading standards and make sure it is a genuine debt recovery company, and then see what they recommend. Maybe call the police also.

Have you tried googling the company?

mel1981 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:06:02

Ive just looked up the company and they are online/have a website so they look legit.

mel1981 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:07:04

should I ring them the debt company do you think? to see what I supposingly owe and to who?

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 13:09:50

I would still start with trading standards, just in case its a fake website too. Maybe speak to the CAB as well. I wouldn't speak to the company until I'd at least got some advice first. You don't know what they might bully you into.

We were bothered by a debt collection agency for the previous house owner. In the end we just returned all the post unopened, and they went away. This is slightly different though...

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 13:10:46

It might be someone with the same name as you, and they've written to you because of that, because they don't have the address. I'm sure I saw something on TV about this...

mel1981 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:53:06

Thanks MaryBS just got off the phone to TS and they said dont even ring the company write a letter (& send as receoded) stating I dont owe anything but if they still think I do owe it they have to provide written proof.
She said I probably wont hear back at all. like you said, they put my name into system as they didnt have anymore details and posted the same letter to anyone with the same name as me hoping they'll find the right person or someone will eventually reply.

Thank you so much for your help & I hope this is the last I hear of it.

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 14:30:37

Glad I could help, and I hope its gone some way to putting your mind at rest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now