Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

My boss twitters all day

(17 Posts)
birdsfoot Sat 05-Sep-09 18:00:38

I work for a large charitable trust, where I am line managed by a senior manager who tweets excessively during working hours. In a typical 9am - 5pm day, if she has no meetings, she will manage 110 - 140 tweets. Not just a word or two, but a couple of lengthy sentences at a time. Often the content is inappropriate and even indecent. It never relates to work.

As a result, she is not productive or supportive of her team. Our workload is building as she adds to it with hers. We fear that sooner or later projects will begin to fail. Apart from this, it is galling to see her getting away with it (and laughing about getting away with it with her twitter "followers"). Whilst we are paid a fraction of her wage and are under enormous pressure to meet team targets. I feel that turning a blind eye makes me negligent.

BTW, I look at her tweets a couple of times a week, when I'm home in the evening. Not at work!

What should I do?
a) shut up and get on with my own work (and try to forget I'm doing a lot of hers too)
b) anonymously post print outs of her activity to the human resources department
c) go and speak directly with the chief executive

said Sat 05-Sep-09 18:02:16

What about d) mention to her that everyone knows what she's doing??

Sparkletastic Sat 05-Sep-09 18:04:10

Tell her.

If she continues to twat tweet, tell on her.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 05-Sep-09 18:04:53

I would be tempted to print them out and take them to her boss.

In this climate she is lucky to have a job.

NoahFence Sat 05-Sep-09 18:07:04

no its nothing to do with you

said Sat 05-Sep-09 18:08:38

I definitely wouldn't do b) or c)

birdsfoot Sat 05-Sep-09 18:15:10

If I approached her she'd pull rank and say it's none of my business. But, why is it none of my business? I do her work, she takes the credit. If our projects fail we all get a bad name.

birdsfoot Sat 05-Sep-09 18:17:26

And, Said, why would you definitely not do b) or C)? Have you experience?

said Sat 05-Sep-09 18:19:52

I think you need to tackle it with her, not snitch HR. Are there others on your team? Can you all approach her (have one as spokesperson)? Have you a union you could discuss it with? If she is team leader and projects fail ultimately the buck stops with her no?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 05-Sep-09 18:26:19

No, it doesn't work like that said.

Littlefish Sat 05-Sep-09 18:27:36

Do you have a whistleblowing policy in your business?

said Sat 05-Sep-09 18:29:55

If a member of team got reprimanded/dismissed/whatever due to boss's failings I may review approach. This kind of thing is very common though; people feeling they are taking up the slack from others.

birdsfoot Sat 05-Sep-09 18:36:14

Yes, there are others in the team (I'm the newest member). They're all weary and demotivated and feel that nothing will ever change. Though this Tweeting only started relatively recently, her laziness and incompetence has been around for a long time. Projects have failed in the past and apparently she's always managed to lay the blame at someone else's feet. They have all got pissed off, been made to look bad by her, and left for elsewhere. But now there is no elsewhere. I don't want to leave, but to put up with it is ridiculous.

No union I'm afraid.

birdsfoot Sat 05-Sep-09 18:39:35

Not sure about whistleblowing policy littlefish. Are these common? We have policies for every other thing imaginable. I'll have a look for one. Thanks.

choosyfloosy Sat 05-Sep-09 18:41:53

I think approaching her as a group is your best bet.

merryberry Sat 05-Sep-09 18:43:01

that's a lot of not working. i bet yoru charities fundraisers would just love this, if it is a fundraised charity. if you're at the wellcome or somesuch, oh well, that's what its for as far as i can see.

seriously, tell her yourself, with another colleague, once you've found if there's a whistle blowing policy in case that doesn't work.

not seriously, we'll get mumsnet to follow her, exclusively tweeting her to 'do some work'

gagamama Thu 10-Sep-09 09:42:47

Could you contact your IT department and ask for Twitter and other social networking sites to be blocked? Make up some rubbish about it freezing people's computers or something. I know that's just sticking a plaster over it really, as she'll still be lazy and overpaid, but it might put the wind up her a little bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now