Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How high can a fence legally be?

(8 Posts)
herbietea Tue 25-Aug-09 15:00:01

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandles Tue 25-Aug-09 15:03:57

They will probably complain about you, saying that they had no choice but to put the panel up because your dc were invading their privacy by looking in at the top of each jump!

Now that the neighbours have solved the problem of keeping your laundry dry for you, why not return the washing line and trampoline to their origianl positions? Or does the higher fence cause any particular problem to you?

Seeline Tue 25-Aug-09 15:05:37

I may be a bit out of date, but anything more than 2m high (6'6") used to require planning permission. check with teh Council.

SoupDragon Tue 25-Aug-09 15:06:04

I thought is was 6 feet high without planning permission.

herbietea Tue 25-Aug-09 15:11:45

Message withdrawn

TheChilliMooseisOmnipotent Tue 25-Aug-09 15:15:18

I believe you can have a 6 foot fence, with two foot or trellis on top without anyone being able to complain.

TheChilliMooseisOmnipotent Tue 25-Aug-09 15:15:38

two foot of trellis

Lilymaid Tue 25-Aug-09 15:21:52

From the very useful Garden Law website:
"Planning Restrictions

You will need planning permission to build a fence or wall 1 metre high where it is next to the public highway or public footpath. On the other boundaries you will need planning permission if it is more than 2 metres high. You should always enquire of your local planning authority before erecting a fence or wall."

In your case, as the MOD is the landlord for both you and your neighbours, any dispute should be dealt with by the MOD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now