Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

anyone any experience/advice on singing a book deal??

(5 Posts)
lucykate Thu 20-Aug-09 13:33:07

i have an offer of a book deal. it's for a craft pattern book, for which i've already submitted a proposal, and sample chapter, which has all been accepted, so am now at the stage of signing a contract (which hasn't arrived but is on it's way). oh, and it is an american publishing company (which is good as my design work seems to have more appeal in the states)

so, if anyone has been through this process, any advice on what to expect, pitfalls etc would be much appreciated.

am very excited, but now need to put on a business head and think realistically.

llareggub Thu 20-Aug-09 13:37:36

No advice, just wanted to say well done.

Nighbynight Thu 20-Aug-09 14:09:55

congratulations.
have you got the writers and artists yearbook?
It should be at your local library. It has loads of advice.

I would use an agent, as am crap at negotiating and wouldnt have a clue what money was right, or what rights I should get in the contract.

babybarrister Wed 26-Aug-09 07:39:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

abra1d Wed 26-Aug-09 07:44:53

Get in touch with the Society of Authors. They have vetted contracts for books for me and some of my other author friends. They work quickly and are very helpful.

www.societyofauthors.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now