Talk

Advanced search

Divorce mortgage prisoner advice help!

(5 Posts)
ShimmyAndShine Tue 12-Jan-21 22:00:17

Yes I've had loads of advice and it's costing me a fortune. I haven't discussed this with solicitor yet, I'm about to do mortgage capacity and just started thinking about it what is the best thing to do and thought I would try and get my thoughts together first.

There are savings, about 40k which could be used for his deposit but I'm hoping for a mesher due to my daughters disability and difficulty finding a home in the area near the school. I could easily put a 5 year clause in I'm not far being able to buy him out

OP’s posts: |
Ffsffsffsffsffs Tue 12-Jan-21 18:28:54

Not a chance. My ex demanded I sign up for a fixed rate deal on our fmh after I moved out, during proceedings where he was refusing to sell the property.

The repayment fees would be deducted from the equity upon sale.

As an aside, meshers are incredibly rare op, have you had much advice?

ncailleach Tue 12-Jan-21 11:22:00

If it is a joint mortgage then the bank will require both of your signatures on any documents.

Collaborate Tue 12-Jan-21 09:50:37

What should I do?

Give the full facts of your case to a family solicitor and ask their advice.

ShimmyAndShine Tue 12-Jan-21 03:59:03

I am paying the mortgage on the FMH myself after STBXH moved out. However, we are nowhere near court date and it has gone onto the SVR. I can just about afford the repayments but it's going to use all my savings.

Q. Can I sign up to another mortgage deal for two years even though we are (hopefully) divorcing this year? I cannot take a mortgage out in my own name but believe it is fairly easy to change to another product with the same lender. Do I need his permission for this? Or should I just put that in train?

I am hoping to get a Mesher order so I can stay in FMH with the children as I can afford all the outgoings. However, if the court ordered a sale their would be a big early repayment charge to get out of the mortgage.

What should I do?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in