Advanced search

Gifting house to cousin

(7 Posts)
Justpassingtime1 Wed 11-Nov-20 07:50:14

I want to give him my house and he wishes to give me his smaller one.
How do we do that?

OP’s posts: |
AlwaysCheddar Wed 11-Nov-20 09:47:38


Collaborate Wed 11-Nov-20 12:36:53



Why on earth is that relevant?

OP - you instruct a conveyancing solicitor. If there are mortgages on either property you need to sort that out first.

AlwaysCheddar Wed 11-Nov-20 13:23:51

Op could be 90 and the cousin 50 and could be seen as trying to get out of selling house to pay for care home fees. Different story if they are both 20.

Rainbowshine Wed 11-Nov-20 13:27:59

You’ll need both legal and tax advice, especially if it is linked to some other significant change like divorce, etc. We need more details really @Justpassingtime1

Bells3032 Wed 11-Nov-20 13:28:11

Speak to a conyancing solicitor. it should be fairly straight forward as sell. If you have a mortgage you will need to discuss about porting your mortgage or paying it off.

Be aeware if you die within 7 they will have to pay inheritance tax on it

anniegun Wed 11-Nov-20 13:29:39

Talk to a solicitor

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in