Advanced search

Accident in night club

(7 Posts)
thelonggame Sat 19-Oct-19 07:32:13

Bit of advice please?
My DD was involved in an accident in a Student Union nightclub at Uni this week. A 1m x 2m ceiling panel was pulled down by drunk students messing around.
She was dancing with a couple of friends and the panel came down on her and knocked her out.
She is so lucky wasn't more seriously injured, she has concussion, possibly damage to her spine but we need to wait a while to see how it settles and hope that it's short term.
We have a meeting with a representative from the SU on Monday.

My question is what legislation covers Health and Safety in public spaces?
I know if an employee was injured they would have to report to RIDDOR, what is the reporting procedure if it's a member of the public?

OP’s posts: |
Isleepinahedgefund Sat 19-Oct-19 15:43:50

I think this should still be reported under RIDDOR. I dealt with a company once who had had a similar incident (nightclub, customer had an accident) and they had had to report it.

If you contact the health and safety dept at your local council or the HSE they will be able to tell you definitively.

cdtaylornats Sun 20-Oct-19 00:26:32

RIDDOR is only for work related accidents. Presumably the union is a private members club.

thelonggame Sun 20-Oct-19 18:22:49

thanks for your advice, I'll contact HSE in the morning.
Yes, the SU is a private club.

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Sun 20-Oct-19 18:24:18

Do NOT go to that meeting without a solicitor.

AveEldon Mon 21-Oct-19 20:56:07

RIDDOR isn't just for workers
"Non fatal accidents to non-workers (eg members of the public)
Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work must be reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury. Examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute ‘treatment’ in such circumstances."

Tohavefarted Thu 24-Oct-19 22:37:51

How is your DD? This is terrible.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in