Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal

(5 Posts)
samb80 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:18:57

My husband has been texting me all week to get back together.
Then this morning I received a letter from his solicitor stating that I had refused a reconciliation which 'he had hoped for' - is that normal content for a solicitor?
It was a sentence that contradicted the opening of the letter.
It then went on to say that my husband want to sort out financial matters and requesting me to submit my finances so they could offer me a settlement. Nothing about divorce - is this normal?
My husband and I split up when he beat me up drunk, he was arrested and charged and currently on probation and has a restraining order so he can't come near the house.
We have two other properties, one has tenants in it and the other is empty which he refuses to rent out or live in and is currently staying with his mum.
I was planning on sorting our divorce after Christmas but this letter just seems really unprofessional and to be honest really pissed me off!!

samb80 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:20:59

Also we have two children that he barely sees once a week.
When the school called him the other week to say our son was poorly and could he go and get him (he was at home rained off work) he told the school to call me (I was away working) and that our son wasn't his problem.

MissSmiley Fri 18-Oct-19 15:24:45

Are you sure the letter is from an actual solicitor? Could he have sent him himself in an attempt to get the information he's asking for?

samb80 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:30:00

It came on letter headed paper and I googled the solicitor and it seems legit. It was just really odd and extremely unprofessional.
It state deadlines for me to submit information.

StealthMama Fri 18-Oct-19 15:35:56

Not all solicitors are actually that good, prob had a trainee or something written it up. You don't have to reply, irrespective of any deadlines they state.

But you obvs do need to get clear on safeguarding yourself, access to the children, and finances so that you can be independent and move on to a better future. If you want to divorce, perhaps get a solicitor now and let them start dealing with his solicitor so you don't have to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »