Talk

Advanced search

Should DS do LPC to secure a TC?

(30 Posts)
YouBigChump Mon 14-Oct-19 13:41:08

DS has graduated with a 2:1 (RG uni if that counts) in Law.
He's got quite a lot of bits of work experience but never managed to secure a vac scheme.

His plan is to try and get a paralegal/ legal admin role for a couple of years, carry on applying for vac schemes and hopefully a TC.
But, despite so many applications he can't find a job. So many want previous experience and/or LPC.

We are in the position that we could fund his LPC as an interest free loan but I'm not sure it's a good idea. If we thought it would 100% lead to a TC but it seems risky.

Any advice to a clueless parent would be welcome.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Mon 14-Oct-19 20:11:07

Surely a good proportion of his classmates graduated with TC offers in place?

No there is nothing mandatory about getting work experience.

I'd be really worried about this stuff he's been told. Was this by the careers service at his university. I'm sure you don't want to make a fuss but he has been given some really bad (and bizarre) advice

BubblesBuddy Mon 14-Oct-19 22:13:52

My DD is fluent in French and Italian. Had way more work experience and had volunteered. She also did loads at university. His CV isn’t obviously great!

You didn’t say he had a LLM when you posted. He really should know the time of day. It’s a hugely competitive area, despite what others are saying. Not everyone gets that coveted training contract and I think he hasn’t put himself out there.

On DDs GDL year, she volunteered - a lot. Applied for and got scholarships for BPTC, applied for 10 pupillages and attended interviews, and crammed Law in a year as a non law degree holder. Doing the LLM might be full in but it’s not this full on. Where did he do the LLM and what careers advice has he accessed?

AlphaBravoCharlieDelta Mon 14-Oct-19 22:25:44

Former IP partner in international law firm here, post-DC I went in-house in a multinational. Your DS has either been badly advised or a bit slack and is making excuses.

FWIW his CV sounds better than mine when I was at his level but TC’s are insanely competitive now. He will be competing with all the people who have been unsuccessful in previous years plus a big (too big imo) tranche of law/GDL graduates every single year. I wouldn’t go into debt for the LPC without a TC. I have also seen good paralegals get “typecast” at that entry level so it’s not always a good route either.

Feel free to PM if I can help.

BubblesBuddy Tue 15-Oct-19 09:50:47

23,000 young people are accepted on to Law undergrad courses at university each year. Obviously they do not all want to be solicitors. However non Law grads will want to be solicitors. There are around 6500 training contracts on offer each year. This gives you an idea about how competitive it is. Plus people who were not successful in previous years will be applying.

Yes, recruitment is more skewed to RG but a great CV is needed. What people have done 20 or so years ago just isn’t the same as now with university expansion in the intervening years. My solicitor friends had done nothing! Just a degree!

I think he needs to want it more. There are so many with firsts now as well. That’s grown from 20 years ago too. He has to think how he can stand out.

EssentialHummus Tue 15-Oct-19 10:07:24

I'm an ex-lawyer who now works with lawyers, paralegals etc looking for jobs. If I was advising your son I'd suggest a) get cracking on the TC apps, b) widen the scope of what you're willing to apply for, c) get some work experience - obviously paid legal work experience is great but so are volunteer roles and so are non-legal roles that show writing, client communication and organisational skills.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »