Talk

Advanced search

Copyright question

(8 Posts)
Legalquestionhelp Sun 06-Oct-19 15:33:28

Wondering if anyone could advise, currently preparing for court and not seeing solicitor for two weeks. If you find photographic evidence online are you allowed to use it or does the copyright of the original owner stop me from printing and then producing the photo.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 06-Oct-19 15:57:52

Evidence of what, and producing it for what?

The copyright of the photo will most likely be with the photographer, but it's possible that someone else owns it, if the contract specified such.

Whether you'd be breaching copyright would depend on what you intended to do with it...

You really might be better to call your solicitor for advice.

Legalquestionhelp Sun 06-Oct-19 16:19:01

Solicitor is away on holiday, the photograph is for a damage dispute. The images are on Zoopla and prove the damage was before we moved into property. Cannot tell if images are agent property or taken by themselves.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 06-Oct-19 17:23:57

If you're only using them to send as evidence to the court, you won't need to worry about copyright really.

Legalquestionhelp Sun 06-Oct-19 17:58:53

Thanks, it’s amazing how much legal proceedings wreck normally level headed thoughts.

Aridane Sun 06-Oct-19 18:03:48

The website from which you,have taken the pictures will normally indicate their copyright status

I wouldn't worry overmuch though

Legalquestionhelp Sun 06-Oct-19 19:16:24

Thank you

PerryMasonsFriend Mon 14-Oct-19 11:49:11

If you find photographic evidence online are you allowed to use it or does the copyright of the original owner stop me from printing and then producing the photo.

There is a specific defence for copyright infringement in respect of use for legal proceedings.

It is in s.45 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 and provides Copyright is not infringed by anything done for the purposes of parliamentary or judicial proceedings.

Linked here:

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/45

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »