Advanced search

Is it legal for boss to "take" my tax savings

(12 Posts)
Soooannoyed Thu 26-Sep-19 17:22:27

I work for an international organisation and am negotiating a raise. My boss finds that my new wage should be less than promised due to the fact that I have just become tax free. In other words. I will sort of end up paying the tax to my company instead. Is that legal? While I applied to become tax free boss kept saying "it is a private matter" and refused to help in any way. And now suddenly the money I save on tax should benefit the company instead of me.

OP’s posts: |
23Squared Thu 26-Sep-19 17:53:04

How can you become tax free unless you are under the threshold?

Countrylifeornot Thu 26-Sep-19 18:01:56

You need to negotiate a gross pay rate, your tax is your own affair. The company shouldn't benefit from your tax free status.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 26-Sep-19 18:04:10

How can you become tax free unless you are under the threshold?
If you’re out of the country for the requisite number of days to not qualify for income tax presumably

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 26-Sep-19 18:04:50

So basically, they’re giving you a pay cut then OP?

Ghostontoast Thu 26-Sep-19 20:19:47

Oil and gas major by any chance?

Presumably you still need to pay tax in the country you’re now resident in.

Soooannoyed Fri 27-Sep-19 19:13:46

I am tax free because I work for one of the international organisations whose employees are tax free, when they are stationed abroad. However, they weren't sure, at first that I qualified too, so I had to do all the leg work myself. My boss is a bit pissed that I became tax free as she likes there to be a distinction of rank and I might get uppity now I have equal rights.

OP’s posts: |
scaryteacher Thu 10-Oct-19 17:19:59

Surely if you work for such an international organisation, there are pay scales that have to be adhered to? There definitely are at the one dh works for.

daisychain01 Fri 11-Oct-19 08:09:06

If you're normally U.K. based it's worth checking your situation regarding keeping up NI payments while you're working abroad. Some counties have a bi-lateral/reciprocal arrangement. The above gov website is useful.

BramblyHedge Fri 11-Oct-19 08:11:49

It could be an international organisation in this country like the weather one near Reading. That is tax free I think (ecmwf).

Soooannoyed Mon 14-Oct-19 11:15:51

@scaryteacher you should think they had to adhere to the pay scale, but for some reason my manager has been allowed to run our department as a small private business, making up her own rules as she goes.

OP’s posts: |
scaryteacher Mon 14-Oct-19 11:19:44

Go and see HR and the pay department - there should be someone who knows their stuff and can set you right. The ones at the ITO dh works for are very good..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in