Advanced search

Probate question

(4 Posts)
ProbateQuery Sat 23-Mar-19 23:03:38

I'm a co-executor with solicitors of my father's will. Probate has gone through and I have received a certified copy of the grant of probate. My father had shares in various companies and I've now started receiving cheques either in my name or the name of myself and my co-executor, but these are payments that should be going to my mother as the beneficiary of the estate. What do I need to do to get payments made directly into my mother's account? Do I send the companies concerned a copy of the copy probate grant, and do I need to get each copy certified?

Soontobe60 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:10:02

The money cannot go into the beneficiaries account immediately. It has to be paid to the executor either into their own account or one set up for this purpose. From this account, the debts have to be paid before it is distributed according to the will.
I received all the money from my dads estate into my own account, then paid his funeral expenses and distributed the remaining according to his will. There's a clear trace on the monies through your account, and you may have to notify the tax office.

ProbateQuery Sun 24-Mar-19 07:15:09

All the debts have been paid.

lilyfire Sun 24-Mar-19 09:03:23

The shares either need to be transferred to your mother’s name or sold and the proceeds given to her. Ask your mum which she would prefer and if it’s transfer you need to check with the companies if that’s possible. You need to find out from them which form they want you to fill in to do sale or transfer and they will want to be sent the grant of probate - I presume you have a few copies. They should return it but it may take a while. Until they are sold or transferred you will just need to pay your mum the proceeds of the payments you get.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »