Advanced search

Renting- Mould

(5 Posts)
Jasmine1002 Sat 23-Mar-19 20:12:48

I am currently renting a flat with my boyfriend, we got in contact with our landlord last week as we have just found bad mould in our bedroom under our bed.. when I say bad I mean shockingly bad. I have messaged them today and have had no message back. Anyone know what we can do as all he did was send us a dehumidifier.. help is really appreciated?!
What can we do next?

Jon65 Sun 24-Mar-19 00:52:17

Mould is usually caused through lifestyle. Not adequately heating the property, lack of ventilation, and drying clothes indoors. A dehumidifier will help by reducing the moisture in the air, but you also need to treat the affected area to prevent it spreading. Bleach is the best diluted in a spray bottle, but you can't use it on carpets. Ensure air can circulate under the bed.

dreichuplands Sun 24-Mar-19 00:58:59

When we rented out our last house out the tenants contacted the agents to complain about mould, we had lived in it without problems. The agents sent an expert round who explained that they had to both heat and air the place properly, they were doing neither.
Spray with mould remover under the bed, ensure air can circulate, open windows daily, run the de humidifier and ensure the house is also heated.
You should be fine.

Jasmine1002 Sun 24-Mar-19 02:08:51

When we messaged them the first time theh said its gets really bad in there, before we moved in they said they they had to completely redecorate the bedroom. We air it as much as we can but we are the ground floor flat so cany have windows open all the time like we normally would.

19lottie82 Tue 26-Mar-19 09:30:36

A dehumidifier is the best option at this stage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »