Talk

Advanced search

Family Court Trial advice

(4 Posts)
riseandshine1 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:16:29

Hi all

I am after some advice regarding a family court trial I have coming up in the next few weeks.

To give some background on the case. My daughter is aged 8 years old and lives with me. Me and her father separated and eventually divorced when she was only a baby. Following the split the father was found guilty of a sexual offence on an adult and subsequently served a prison sentence and placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years. Upon his release, I would meet him weekly to see our daughter. There was eventually a breakdown in communication as I refused for him to take her alone.

Father then took the took matter to court and we have been in court proceedings for 5 years! My daughter has had, indirect contact, supervised contact, supported contact and direct contact. My daughter has struggled to accept him in her life throughout all these steps. There have been several Cafcass reports that have been positive towards me and clearly state that there is no parental alienation and that I am supportive of my daughter seeing her father (not saying this was easy).

The last year has been extremely difficult and upsetting for my daughter as well as myself as I have been so forceful with her to see her father due to the immense pressure from court orders and her father. At the last hearing, I requested a barring order that father should not be allowed to take me to court for a 4 year period and that I no longer support contact due to the impact this is having on my daughter. It was decided that the case now needs to go to a trial.

I did have a solicitor which as you all know is very expensive but I am no longer able to afford these fees. I will be representing myself at the trial.

My questions are has anyone had a family court trial and what are the steps? What should I expect? Do I need to prepare a position statement? (I have already submitted a statement to argue why I want to stop contact and why I want a barring order to stop him taking me to court repeatedly). I know I will be cross examined likely by the father as he does not have a solicitor but I am unsure what questions I need to be asking father.

I have looked online but there is very little information regarding family court trials. I would really appreciate some advice or websites that may help me.

Thank you all very much

BubblesBuddy Wed 20-Mar-19 14:45:35

I didn’t think the family court had trials. Surely it’s just another hearing. You really need a barrister. I cannot imagine why this has been going on for so long. You need counsel advice on how to stop this madness for the sake of your DD. You both need to move on from entrenched positions. Someone professional needs to help you get to the end of this! Urgently.

Hullabalooo Thu 21-Mar-19 07:37:31

Speak to Child Law Advice. They're really helpful. https://childlawadvice.org.uk/

riseandshine1 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:16:00

Thank you both for the reply. I am astounded at how long they have allowed me to be dragged through the court process.

I had a solicitor or barrister throughout but I can no longer afford to have one so I have no choice but to represent myself.

Looking at the details of the next hearing it's stated this is a Final Hearing, but I have had one of those before but the father was still allowed to bring the case back to court so I'm not hopeful this ordeal will be over anytime soon.

I will check out the child law advice website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: