Advanced search

If you die intestate with children...

(4 Posts)
Hohofortherobbers Sat 23-Mar-19 23:01:07

Make a will, do not 'wait to get a few things in place'. Make a will which covers that uncertainty which is delaying you, whatever it may be. With correct wording you'll have a will which says 'should I die whilst (this issue) is ongoing, I would like (etc etc)' just make a will.

tisonlymeagain Wed 20-Mar-19 14:32:24

Thanks for that. I do intend to make a will obviously but there are a few things to put in place first and I don't really want my (useless) parents managing things for my kids. I think my kids would do a better job! No spouse, a have a live-in partner but he's not the father and we're not married.

over50andfab Tue 19-Mar-19 21:28:34

The trustees would be the personal representatives, or administrators. Look here
I think where there are no relatives the state appoints someone to administer the estate.

Btw if there is a spouse they inherit too with certain rules - just google intestacy laws. Also I don’t know where you live, so the link above might not give the correct info.

tisonlymeagain Tue 19-Mar-19 21:07:15

...I understand that they would be next of kin and that the estate would be held in a statutory trust until they were 18, but what I don't understand is who would be the trustees in this situation. Can't find any information on this online. Can anyone shed any light?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »