Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can this person legally apply for planning permission?

(11 Posts)
sunglasses Sat 11-Aug-18 11:51:37

A neighbour ( person A) has submitted a planning application for a roof extension to their flat. It is 1 of 3 flats formed from an Edwardian house which originally belonged to the parents. The parents still own the freehold and live in 1 flat, another flat is leased to tenants and this third flat is lived in by person A. Person A has applied for planning permission but I have reason to believe that in this case the freeholder- parents should be making the application. Is this correct?
Person A is not the leaseholder of the flat- The land registry lists it as neither leasehold or freehold. Its listed n/a
Only asking as I think plans are underway to sub divide Person A's flat into two new flats once planning consent has been granted. As the freeholder presumably the parents could do this without further planning consent merely by re dividing the internal space once the extension has been completed. They would create a new doorway which is what I have an objection to.

Anyone know what the law says on such matters?
Thanks

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 11-Aug-18 11:57:42

I think in the UK anybody can apply for planning permission. Where I am in Ireland anyone can apply but the application has to be accompanied by a letter of permission from the property owner, but in the UK I don't think that's necessary. I remember hearing something about it when I lived in the UK and thinking that it was quite weird.

Furx Sat 11-Aug-18 11:58:29

Anyone can apply for planning permission. Don’t have to have any interest in the land or property at all.

Our local pony club type found out by chance that a random third party had applied for permission to build a community center on their field. The field that they had no intention of ever selling.

Furx Sat 11-Aug-18 11:59:51

If you have an objection, then find the application online on the planning portal and lodge an objection.

PalePinkSwan Sat 11-Aug-18 12:04:31

Anybody can apply for planning permission - they don’t need to own the relevant land.

sunglasses Sat 11-Aug-18 12:09:10

Thank you.
Wow- that sounds really weird, so someone could apply to build something in my garden despite not owning the land! Thats nuts.
I have already looked at the plans and filed an objection- on the grounds that the new doorway I am worried about is on the plans! Albeit noted as an existing doorway but in a new position. So the current plans are incorrect- please tell me at least that is something that should be accurate.

KatieMarieJ Sat 11-Aug-18 12:13:43

Usually it happens where someone is seeing whether something is viable before making an offer to buy. I'd be more than delighted if someone obtained PP for land I own - they've had the cost and headache to bear and I now possibly have my land value increased. Win-win in that regard.

Just find the application online and object. smile

SassitudeandSparkle Sat 11-Aug-18 12:14:52

Tesco are infamous for doing this, a lady (her house in Liverpool was included in a planning application to do with a store) put in a planning application on the Tesco chief's house to turn it into a community garden!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7344045.stm

PalePinkSwan Sat 11-Aug-18 17:13:49

Yes, anybody can apply for planning permission.

I don’t think it’s nuts tbh - if they get planning permission then they see if you want them to sell them the land. Obv you don’t have to and obv they can’t build it in your back garden without your permission.

And yes the plans should be accurate, any inaccuracy will count against them.

sunglasses Sat 11-Aug-18 17:18:16

Ha Ha- Thats funny.
With regards to the plans for this flat though surely its not ok for the architect to have drawn a doorway that isn't there and presented it as though it is. They have to accurately represent what is currently there don't they?

sunglasses Sat 11-Aug-18 17:19:18

Sorry posted this before I saw you post Pale. Thats good to know Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: