Talk

Advanced search

identifying correspondence posted online

(4 Posts)
KarinVogel Sat 11-Aug-18 11:44:01

My job entails corresponding online with customers on a sometimes daily basis. I answer their queries and require them to complete actions that are necessary before the next steps can be taken. Sometimes they dont like being required to do these things ,sometimes they dont do them at all and post screenshots of the correspondence online asking for help and ways to avoid doing the actions or what will happen if they arent done .
The posts always have names and locations attached to them and once I realised this I was very uneasy as I feel I can be identified easily as I have an relatively unusual name . I spotted one post referring to a colleague in a derogatory manner and feel its only a matter of time before a witchhunt starts .
I am not allowed to change my name as it appears on screen
I have raised it informally with the union but they arent interested as nothing has happened yet.
Is there some privacy regulation that I can quote to at least get my name changed to something more generic?

DGRossetti Sat 11-Aug-18 16:17:15

Is there some privacy regulation that I can quote to at least get my name changed to something more generic?

If nothing else, your employer owes you a duty of care.

Presumably they have supplied you with the assessments they undertook when formulating their policy about real names ? Because it's that assessment they would have to rely on if anything untoward were to happen to you as a result of their policy. Especially since you have now queried it.

KarinVogel Sat 11-Aug-18 21:30:12

DGRossetti
Hmmm. Interesting . I didnt think to ask about the assessment. Silly really since they have an assessment for everything.
Thank you .I'll check next week and start pushing for answers.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 12-Aug-18 09:36:22

You work for the DWP don't you? confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: