Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Paking caravan in general parking bay at end of road

(14 Posts)
ohwell02 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:55:16

We do not have a driveway and want to buy a caravan. Can we park it at the end of the road along with where others park their cars and could one of us sleep in it?

Collaborate Tue 13-Mar-18 11:31:25

I'd advise against it. It cannot cause an obstruction, and occupying a designated parking place may constitute an obstruction. You may get a letter from the LA if a neighbour complains, demanding that you move it.

The caravan's reflectors must face the direction of the traffic. The police say that a caravan must be lit at night if it is parked on a road and comply with the other normal parking rules. You'll probably meet this definition if your caravan has all the normal regulation reflectors and is parked near street lighting.

You might not be covered by insurance though.

If you try and sleep in it (I'm assuming this is proposed to be a regular occurrence) the LA are likely to take a dim view.

SilverHairedCat Tue 13-Mar-18 11:35:58

Please don't be That Neighbour.

Wollstonecraft1 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:36:41

Pay for storage, there will be somewhere local you can put it. You won't be popular if you dump a caravan in your street and I imagine your neighbours will find out how to get you to move it.

treedragon Tue 13-Mar-18 11:42:06

Doesn’t this go on in Bristol somewhere? People living in caravans at the side of residential streets?

SlothMama Tue 13-Mar-18 11:42:43

Pay for it to go into storage

SoupDragon Tue 13-Mar-18 11:42:45

Why would you want to sleep in a caravan at the end of your road?

And why would you want to piss off your neighbours quite so spectacularly?

RebootYourEngine Tue 13-Mar-18 12:06:22

If you have a house why would one of you sleep in the caravan?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 13-Mar-18 12:36:57

No; I believe once someone is sleeping in it, it's not "parked".

Rent a plot at a caravan park place. Not a holiday park. They're not generally expensive and you won't break any rules or irritate anyone.

FrancisCrawford Tue 13-Mar-18 18:43:20

If you are in Scotland this could be expressly forbidden by the burdens affecting your house.

Even if you are not, it is pretty selfish to permanently deprive everyone else of being able to use a parking space

Find a place to store it

Iloveacurry Tue 13-Mar-18 18:49:14

If you can afford a caravan, surely you can afford to store it somewhere other than the end of your road! You would really piss your neighbours off if you did that.

MrsJoshDun Tue 13-Mar-18 18:55:29

Pay for storage. It will be safer.

retirednow Tue 13-Mar-18 19:49:59

I have never seen a caravan parked on a road, hope I never do, why do you want to sleep in it when you've got a house to sleep in. Is it a caravan or a campervan, would it even be insured.

retirednow Tue 13-Mar-18 19:54:34

Dont caravans have to be kept lit if they are kept on the road,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: