Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Intestacy

(9 Posts)
DoMiraculousThingsWithBroccoli Tue 13-Feb-18 22:59:06

Can anyone explain intestacy to me? My uncle has died (my dads brother, one of 3 brothers- my dad died 7 years ago, my other uncle is still alive). He didn’t leave a will and there’s no houses involved as he rented, no spouse or children. There is a small sum of money. What is the legal way forward?

Berthatydfil Tue 13-Feb-18 23:01:56

If he has no children and his parents are deceased then his estate will be split between his siblings.
Any sibling who is deceased will have their share passed to their children in equal shares

Berthatydfil Tue 13-Feb-18 23:04:18

Sorry I’m not sure that was totally understandable.
So uncle has 2 brothers so his estate is split in .
Other uncle gets half.
Your dads share is also half but as he is deceased his share goes to you and any siblings of yours in equal shares.

TeacupDrama Tue 13-Feb-18 23:05:04

Assuming in England if his parents already dead and as you say no spouse or children the estate is shared between both brothers your dad's share will be yours or split with any of your siblings: your other uncle will get 50%, if under approx 30k you may be won't need probate. I'm not a lawyer though.

DoMiraculousThingsWithBroccoli Tue 13-Feb-18 23:05:59

So my surviving uncle and myself will have equal share? (Sorry, it’s been a long day). Thanks

DoMiraculousThingsWithBroccoli Tue 13-Feb-18 23:06:42

Yes, in England.

OneEpisode Tue 13-Feb-18 23:09:47

There is a form on the gov.uk site for the next of kin -your uncle I would think - to apply to be administrator. That person pays all the bills, for the funeral etc then divides any remainder up.

DoMiraculousThingsWithBroccoli Tue 13-Feb-18 23:13:07

Thank you. I’ll have a look at that.

OneEpisode Tue 13-Feb-18 23:15:52

flowers for your loss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: