Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Dd2 and career in law. Can anyone help?

(22 Posts)
Lawdoc Mon 12-Feb-18 21:25:53

Dd2 wants to be a Coroner which means she has to be a solicitor first.
Can anyone advise what she would be best to study at college subject wise?

GoJetterGirl Mon 12-Feb-18 22:28:39

Law is always a good start, I took sociology and law at A Level (showing my age there, I believe they're now called AS levels) then went from there...

catlovingdoctor Mon 12-Feb-18 22:32:49

To have a serious shot of being offered a training contract (the first stage to being a properly qualified solicitor), she'll need a solid law degree from a respected university. And even then it'very competitive.

Sociology and law are not seen as traditional A levels; she'd be better advised to do rigorous traditional academic ones- such as English, history, the sciences, etc in order to have a good chance of an offer from a decent law school.

NatalieRushman Mon 12-Feb-18 22:38:18

University reputation is everything when it comes to law. I agree, your best chance of getting into a good uni is the traditional subjects - English is pretty much required, and probably history, a language, maybe a science. Things like sociology and law are seen as slightly 'softer' subjects at uni admission. Admittedly, I'm in Scotland, so possibly different. But the traditional, essay based subjects are very much preferred.

Dozer Mon 12-Feb-18 22:39:09

Many law jobs are likely to be automated in the future.

PersianCatLady Tue 13-Feb-18 07:33:38

GoJetterGirl
A levels are still A levels, so you can't be that old.

AS levels are changing but basically they were equivalent to half an A level.

My DS did four subjects in year 12 and dropped one so he only did 3 subjects in year 13.

He got an AS level for the subject that he did for one year in year 12.

PersianCatLady Tue 13-Feb-18 07:35:25

Have a look o the national careers service and UCAS for some good information about becoming a coroner.

Angelf1sh Tue 13-Feb-18 07:44:49

History is always a good one, law is certainly not required and is slightly pointless as you’d be learning it all again in the first year at university. If she wants to be a coroner then I’d suggest biology and possibly chemistry as it will help with the medical reports. Personally I’d say a foreign language is sensible in this day and age as by the time she graduates she might want to do something else. English will also get you anywhere.

Does she know what university she wants to go to? It might be worth looking at the law course syllabus to see if it’s got a slant that could point her towards subjects (eg a module in law and medical ethics would make biology a good choice).

MrsBertBibby Tue 13-Feb-18 07:46:29

Science is always good, most lawyers don't have a science background, and are a bit intimidated by people who do.

You don't have to read Law, by the way. I didn't. English, and then the Common Professional Examination.

Law is a pretty gruelling profession to get into, though, and is full of arseholes and appalling employers once you get in. I am glad my son doesn't want to follow his parents in.

Being a coroner is pretty niche!

Rosielily Tue 13-Feb-18 08:08:33

Choose the subjects she enjoys. That was the advice we were given in very recent years even from Oxbridge. We followed this advice and my daughter graduated in Law this summer from a highly respected university and is now enjoying her Masters course, again in Law. Hope this helps.

Rosielily Tue 13-Feb-18 08:11:41

PS: if you have any concern about whether any subject is preferred, not looked upon favourably, etc, contact the University directly to ask.

Luckystar1 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:19:36

I’d say do the subjects she is good at, that she will get very good grades in without the stress of repeating etc. I did history, geography and biology. I got 3 A’s at A-level and then went to a Russell Group uni. Then LPC and training contract. I worked in the City but left after DC1.

For what it’s worth, I loved the actual job, but hated the clients/stress/hours/competition and generally how dreadful law firms are as employers.

For eg. 3 days after my miscarriage I was pulled in as it was ‘perceived amongst the team that I wasn’t working as hard as them’ (I was still doing 11 hour days). I was also pulled in while heavily pregnant to be told that despite exceeding all targets I wasn’t getting my bonus (still doing 11-12 hour days at this point). They did actually give me my bonus when I argued my corner but I fucking hated them.

I was not alone in this view. The staff turnover in my team was very high.

Lawyermama1987 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:37:43

Hi, humanities subjects are always good because she’ll develop the skills that she’ll need to law degree (if that’s what she decides to do) but if she has an aptitude for science or maths say, the fact that she wants to do law later shouldn’t put her off. If she’s likely to get a better grade in science type course, then that should stand her in good stead.

Just as an aside a couple of people here mentioning common professional exam / GDL and LPC. The method of training lawyers is going to change over the next couple of years and be replaced with what’s being affectionately called a super-exam!
Best of luck to your daughter with whatever she decides to do!

Angelf1sh Wed 14-Feb-18 05:55:36

Also, she doesn’t have to be a solicitor, she could be a barrister. The a levels advice wouldn’t change though.

Pleasebeafleabite Wed 14-Feb-18 11:45:16

I agree with advice to do subjects she enjoys as she is more likely to get better grades

I also agree English is beneficial

Then apply to best ranked unis for law that her grades will support

YellowPrimula Wed 14-Feb-18 11:49:29

Stick to traditional facilitating subjects , science or humanities, languages are valued as well . Not necessary to read law , less than half NQ lawyers have a law degree now . Most important thing is very high grades. Agree about it being an unforgiving profession

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 14-Feb-18 13:53:04

Lawyermama1987 the sqe superexa. Has been put on hold and I am not sure it will happen

BubblesBuddy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:49:29

Be very careful about A level subjects. What you like may not be what employers like, or indeed what a competitive degree requires.

To get anywhere in law these days it’s best to do traditional A levels in at least two facilitating subjects. You don’t have to do a law degree but employers will look at what you studied both at degree and A level. There are so many well qualified young people about, the competition is fierce. They do not need to take people who have done Media Studies, Sociology and Textiles. They will not get you anywhere in law but do have their place in the world.

Aim for the strongest academic subjects, do an academic degree at the best university you can get to and try to get a training contract. Coroners would tell you what they think are the normal routes into the job.

There cannot be many coroner posts available so I would have a plan B. A plan C too probably!

mummmy2017 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:51:43

Ok done this and got child on Law Degree last year.

It's done on points, so just go for things she wants to do.

So long as they get reasonable grades they can on the course.
Should they not get as good as hoped for you get offered a 4 year instead of 3 year.

We do have a job lined up for when the degree finished, and the Masters can be done afterwards, it doesn't get you nearer the top of the pile, it's who and what your child is like that gets the place, as they like students who join in and do things in their holidays, as it shows they are motivated to succeed.

Nishky Tue 20-Feb-18 21:56:54

I did Sociology at A level and a social sciences degree and after a few years of working did the CPE.

How many answering on this thread are lawyers themselves I wonder!

OutyMcOutface Tue 20-Feb-18 21:58:40

There is no point in doing law at A levels. I would say that English is a must, a science subject is useful (helps with analysis), history is another good one as it helps with the kind of essay structures required in law exams. Ideally she should be trying for entrance into a Russel group law school so the better get grades the more of a chance she gets. Doingthibfs like experience days at law firms and mootingconpetitiobs also helps with law school admissions. If she is aiming to become a corner she doesn't have to do brilliantly-a lot of smaller firms are offering training contracts nowadays but she does require a 2:1 really or she may consider spending some time asa conveyancer or paralegal in a regional form in the hopes of getting a training contract there.

OutyMcOutface Tue 20-Feb-18 22:00:47

*I was offered a place on a Russell group law course with English and three sciences and a reference from a solicitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now