Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

air bnb guest ordered credit card in his name but airbnb's address

(22 Posts)
lamettarules Sat 10-Feb-18 18:22:27

Talking to a friend today ,she has a friend X who does air bnb .

Chap staying for a week ,chap said he was expecting delivery of card .
X opened post by mistake ,card is in guest's name but paperwork has her address .

This sounds dodgy doesn't it ? Or am I over reacting .I think X should ring card issuer .

Bananalanacake Sat 10-Feb-18 18:25:33

Yes. Because any debt will be linked to her address.

DriggleDraggle Sat 10-Feb-18 18:25:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Finola1step Sat 10-Feb-18 18:27:44

Dodgy. Friend should contact credit card company ASAP with proof that it is her property and that he was just an Airbnb guest.

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sat 10-Feb-18 18:32:42

Of COURSE it's dodgy. Clever but dodgy.

Angrybird345 Sun 11-Feb-18 07:35:00

It’s nit only dusty, it’s Fraud!

Angrybird345 Sun 11-Feb-18 07:35:30

Wow, too quick to post - it’s not only dodgy, it’s fraud! Sorry about typos

Beanteam Sun 11-Feb-18 07:41:24

I don't know, if you aren't going to be at your home address how then do you get hold of your card? I would phone the bank and suggest that someone who doesn't live there has a card in your address and see what they say. They won't usually discuss a card which isn't in your name so be cautious in how you phrase it.

TheMogget Sun 11-Feb-18 08:02:15

Return it to the credit card company saying not known at this address

LizzieSiddal Sun 11-Feb-18 08:08:19

I know of someone who did this. He was an estate agent for rented properties and would get cards sent to empty addresses then go and pick them up. Before doing that he used to use relatives’ addresses and convince them it was ok. He fled the country but there’s a warrant out for his arrest.

I would contact the police because you can be assured this won’t be the first time he’s done this. The police need to search his property, I expect they will find numerous fraudulent cards there.

lamettarules Sun 11-Feb-18 08:42:07

Thanks all - you've confirmed my view . And I agree with Lizzie that this won't be the first time .

The situation worries me as I believe the chap is stiil there ,and who knows what else he might be dodgy about .

Beanteam - I hadn't thought about the issuer not speaking to a third party but it's a good point .Regarding collecting a card while not at home ..surely you could collect it from a bank ?

What seems odd to me is the timing - surely it takes more than a few days to get a new credit card ,how could you manage to get a card sent somewhere that is only your address for such a short time ?

Twooter Sun 11-Feb-18 08:48:11

It could just be a replacement card rather than a new account though. Wouldn’t he need bank statements and utility bills also registered to the same address?

LizzieSiddal Sun 11-Feb-18 08:52:41

He will have booked the B&B and will have applied for the card a week before his visit, hoping it arrives when he’s staying there.

superram Sun 11-Feb-18 08:54:43

Sent to that address doesn’t mean registered at that address. Presumably it would be no use to him at home?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 11-Feb-18 08:55:13

Debt is attached to a person not a house so as long as she proves that he doesn't live there and they are not financially linked then she will not be affected

superram Sun 11-Feb-18 08:56:00

However, I’m not convinced a bank would send to a different address. I don’t think he could use her address as he won’t be on the electoral roll.

lamettarules Sun 11-Feb-18 09:23:40

It's tricky being a friend of a friend so I don't have all the details .

I suppose it's possible it's all innocent - replacement card sent c/o address .Though I'm inclined towards superram's view - surely cards aren't sent out like that ?

But the guest has spent previous weeks at different air bnbs in neighouring locations ,which isn't,AFAIK, a usual profile of an air bnber .

Scribblegirl Sun 11-Feb-18 09:27:52

I had a card fail to arrive at home and was worried my post was being fiddled with so Capital One sent the card to my work address at my request - so it is possible.

I think it's very dodgy though.

ZBIsabella Sun 11-Feb-18 09:32:23

I also think they should report all this to Airbnb so that they can warn other users.

lamettarules Sun 11-Feb-18 09:48:11

Yes ,it's been reported to Airbnb , no response yet .But apparently they can be a bit slow with host queries/concerns .

MaggieFS Sun 11-Feb-18 09:58:27

I don't think you can get replacement cards sent elsewhere any more because fraud rules are so much tighter. Don't you have to either get them at you registered address or collect from branch with ID. Even if they won't discuss specifics, surely a quick calm to the bank concerned would confirm if they would ever do this.

MaggieFS Sun 11-Feb-18 09:58:59

*call not calm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: