Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Deseased's bank account

(21 Posts)
PoloPrincess Sat 10-Feb-18 16:01:49

I've been advised to bring this from another thread.

What do I do if I know someone who is using a bank account belonging to someone else who has been deseased for 6 years?

To be more specific stbxh is using his mum's bank account but she has been dead 6 years.

He claims benifits for himself and has that money paid into his own bank account. But I'm pretty sure that he is working and the money he earns from that job goes into mil's account.

Who do I report it to? Should I report it? The bank have already been told and have chosen not to do anything about it.

This isn't right is it? It can't be legal? Also it's morally wrong.

Soon he will be asked by the court for his financial disclosure. If he is hiding money in someone else's account then he won't have to disclose it will he?

I'm not sure what to do or if I should report it and then who do I report it to?

MongerTruffle Sat 10-Feb-18 16:03:58

You would report it to HMRC if he is claiming means-tested benefits and you think that he's not declaring assets.

Truthstar Sat 10-Feb-18 16:04:11

How would you even know if hes using mil account?
Just leave it and dont confuddle things by making accusations unless you are 100%

PoloPrincess Sat 10-Feb-18 16:06:59

truthsrar yesterday a letter turned up at my house in her name. I haven't opened it but I would say that it's a new bank card.

PoloPrincess Sat 10-Feb-18 16:08:10

I am going to take the unopened letter back to the bank.

TeeBee Sat 10-Feb-18 16:15:15

Yeah, take it to the bank and tell them she's been dead 6 years.

astoundedgoat Sat 10-Feb-18 16:37:47

If you suspect that he is hiding earnings in the deceased's account I would possibly seek legal advice before you do anything, even informing the bank that she is dead, as if he finds the account closed or frozen he will know to hide the income elsewhere and you may have missed your chance?

DGRossetti Sat 10-Feb-18 17:02:18

Anti terror police might have a shufti too ... it's egregious money laundering ...

retirednow Sat 10-Feb-18 17:17:58

Do you have a copy of her death certificate, the bank will need proof that she has died and can investigate if the account is still being used.

DGRossetti Sat 10-Feb-18 17:20:12

The bank have already been told and have chosen not to do anything about it.

Also the banking ombudsman, and the FCA will be interested.

retirednow Sat 10-Feb-18 17:22:46

Six years is a long time to still be getting someone's post.

PoloPrincess Sat 10-Feb-18 17:31:43

retirednow I reported it to the bank a while ago when i found out because I found an old statement dated 2014. Then there were no more letters (the post situation is another complicated issue). Anyway, nothing came through the post to my knowledge and i assumed the bank had sorted it. I was told back then they couldn't give me any updates because of confidentiality. No statements came in the post, maybe he's moved it to online banking. But yesterday a new bank card turned up. I've had a new bank card recently and it was still in it's envelope. Same bank, same envelope.

retirednow Sat 10-Feb-18 18:03:01

Do you and stbxh still live together in the same house

user1486076969 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:04:48

I had no idea that a bank account for someone who is deceased could still be used?

retirednow Sat 10-Feb-18 18:09:22

User, no I don't either, I wonder what happens if it's a joint account, you'd be able to use that wouldn't you but not their name

PoloPrincess Sat 10-Feb-18 18:25:56

retirednow yes we all still live under the same roof, it's an awful situation. I work, he doesn't so he has plenty of opportunity to receive his post without me seeing what has arrived.

Spickle Sat 10-Feb-18 22:46:34

If you live in the same house, can't you find the death certificate and post a copy of it to the bank? When my dh died, I informed the bank and they froze his account immediately, but I did have to show them the death certificate and the bank account was in his sole name.

PoloPrincess Sun 11-Feb-18 10:38:48

spickle it's not that easy. He has everything locked away including stuff that belongs to me.

EggysMom Sun 11-Feb-18 10:40:48

You don't need to find the death certificate, you can order a copy online. Google for your local Register Office, or even use the GRO.

PlugUgly1980 Sun 11-Feb-18 10:47:53

The bank don't necessarily need the death certificate. I work in financial services and we use various services to identify where customers have died and we've not been notified. I would take the unopened letter to the bank and write across the envelope that she died 6 years ago. I'd also write a letter, addressed to the financial crime manager of the bank/branch outlining your suspicions and say you will contact the regulator if you don't get a receipt of your letter as a minimum. They won't be able to divulge the details of any investigation they undertake, but they should acknowledge receipt of your correspondence.

TroysMammy Sun 11-Feb-18 11:31:36

As a last resort the local paper online would have obituary notices. You could show the bank that unless her name was very common. It would have the funeral director's details on it as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now