Advanced search

Consent from other parent to travel abroad

(7 Posts)
Mambot Wed 07-Feb-18 22:09:44

My son's father has sent a two sentence email to confirm his consent, is that enough? Or does it need to be a specifically worded and printed letter presented at some point at the airport? For context, It's two days in Europe with me and my mum, my son has a double barelled surname half mine half father's, he lives with me 100% of the time with no court orders in place.

Thank you.

endofthelinefinally Wed 07-Feb-18 22:20:53

It needs to be a signed lettter.
If your son's name is different from yours you will need birth certificate, marriage cert/ evidence of divorce.
I am not a lawyer but the above is based on my experience/ friends.

MissWimpyDimple Wed 07-Feb-18 22:24:03

I have travelled abroad with my daughter many many many times and have never needed consent. I cannot see that you would.

Take the birth certificate if you are in any doubt, but I have never been asked.

Mambot Wed 07-Feb-18 22:24:50

Ah thank you for that. I have my sons birth certificate. We were never married. So just to confirm: my passport and his obviously, his birth cert, and if I type up a letter and he signs it when he sees him this weekend, that'll be acceptable?

Thank you

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 07-Feb-18 22:26:04

I have travelled abroad with my daughter many many many times and have never needed consent. I cannot see that you would.

Whilst quite a few people on here will tell you they have been, as have we.

Mambot Wed 07-Feb-18 22:28:24

Yes, misswimpydimple, I was also surprised and caught unawares by this. I travelled to southeast Asia with my son for a near month two years ago without my ex and nobody questioned it. My mum went to see a solicitor about this yesterday and what to do should he be deliberately difficult, and as a side note the sol said that it's only really been enforced in the last seven months apparently...

MongerTruffle Wed 07-Feb-18 22:28:59
"You must get the permission of everyone with parental responsibility for a child or from a court before taking the child abroad ...
Taking a child abroad without permission is child abduction ...
A letter from the person with parental responsibility for the child is usually enough to show you’ve got permission to take them abroad. You might be asked for the letter at a UK or foreign border, or if there’s a dispute about taking a child abroad. The letter should include the other person’s contact details and details about the trip."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: