Advanced search

Reporting suspicion of tax evasion

(5 Posts)
JollyGiraffe Wed 07-Feb-18 20:41:59

I have reason to suspect someone is not declaring a proportion of their income which is liable to taxation.

I don't believe there would be any benefit to me for reporting it, but I do believe it would be morally right to - so I am not wanting to do this for any personal gain.

I know that they have previously committed council tax fraud, and been found out.

So my question is, can you report someone to HMRC on suspicion only, for them to check, or do you need to know for sure? Would I be questioned for raising a concern?

wowfudge Thu 08-Feb-18 12:41:06

You can report that you suspect they are evading tax.

MaggieFS Sat 10-Feb-18 17:48:12

As pp has said, you give them the info, they will investigate. If there's nothing out of order, person in question won't face any charges/penalties so it's a no brainier for it to be checked out IMHO

gillybeanz Sat 10-Feb-18 17:50:10

how are they evading tax?

JollyGiraffe Sun 11-Feb-18 09:59:26

gilly, by not declaring income that they have been receiving (a large amount which should be taxed)

Thanks fudge and maggie, I think I will let HMRC know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: