Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ex not paid legal fees

(7 Posts)
JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 14:00:11

I’m after a bit of advice, ex and I divorced back in October. through mediation - we agreed to pay solicitors costs 50/50. His solicitors bill came to me and I paid my share. My solicitors bill came to him, and he’s now refusing to pay his share...as their client I am liable for the fees which I have paid but I am now considerably out of pocket because I’ve paid my share and his share (my solicitor will refund me his share when/if they receive it). Also my solicitor is now saying she will charge me for every time she has to chase him for payment. Is there anything I can do about this? I can’t really tell her not to chase as obviously I want him to pay his share of the fees so I can get the money back.

Does anyone have any advice?

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 04-Dec-17 14:04:50

I'm not a lawyer, but Small Claims Court?

Collaborate Mon 04-Dec-17 14:39:02

Nothing helpful to add, save why on earth did your solicitor (and you) not sort it out so that rather than you each pay half of the others, whoever had the lower bill paid half of the difference to the other?

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 14:41:19

Collaborate - because for various reasons each bill came through at a different time so his solicitors bill came through before my solicitors bill.

AJPTaylor Mon 04-Dec-17 16:41:22

Did you solicitor know/advise you to make this payment?

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 16:57:16

Yes she knew we were splitting the fees 50/50.

Collaborate Mon 04-Dec-17 18:03:45

Then I'm very surprised she didn't advise you as per my previous post. If she told you that you had to pay half the other side's invoice without sending you her own and then offsetting it against what you had to pay towards that other bill I think you had a case to tell her to seek half her bill from your ex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now