Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.


(12 Posts)
MrsBarrington Sun 03-Dec-17 15:17:38

I’m not sure if i’m writing this in the right place. My partner is due to become homeless as the family member he lives with can no longer offer him the room. I live in a small room in a flat share and don’t have much room to share. He has children who have also recently became intentionally homeless due to their mother not paying rent and one child intermittently stays with me. My question is legally can the council help in the situation?
Thank you for any advice or answers

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 03-Dec-17 15:20:55

Not sure on that one. Our council doesn’t seem to rehouse single males.

Has he got a letter from the relative stating when he has to leave by and why and is he going to the Council housing department first thing tomorrow?

I’d give the Shelter helpline a call too 🙂

BritInUS1 Sun 03-Dec-17 15:21:39

Well the council should help if he has been made homeless, however, he won't be a priority as he is a single man.

BritInUS1 Sun 03-Dec-17 15:22:13

To add I am not a lawyer, but I had a friend in a similar situation and that is what he was told

MrsBarrington Sun 03-Dec-17 16:57:19

Thank you for your replies, yes I believe that he has a letter. His eldest child stays with me sometimes and if he does also we’ll be tight on space

expatinscotland Sun 03-Dec-17 16:59:37

I wouldn't be impressed by my flatmate moving her BF in with her, tbh.

DancesWithOtters Sun 03-Dec-17 17:02:02

Why can't he rent somewhere himself? Doesn't he earn a living?

expatinscotland Sun 03-Dec-17 17:05:13

I don't think he's going to get far with the council. Many don't house single males. Has he tried to get a new flatshare?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 03-Dec-17 18:30:49

expat that’s how it works around here too. Unless they can get somewhere or soda surf it’s a tent in a park, if they’re lucky. The council fame and removed all of the tents a month ago before a Royal visit.

OP has he tried or could you get a room or flat together?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 03-Dec-17 18:31:37

*sofa and *came blush

ilovewelshrarebit123 Sun 03-Dec-17 18:36:00

I'd be very surprised if he hit a Council property, I'm a single parent and I have to privately rent.

Is there a reason he can't get a house share or rent a private property?

MidniteScribbler Sat 09-Dec-17 03:04:20

Could you move out and rent a place together?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: