Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

New business owner - sick leave

(7 Posts)
WutheringFrights Thu 30-Nov-17 20:15:18

I've just bought a business where one of the employees is on sick leave.
He is planning to return but it is MH related so there is no definite date.
I am doing my first payroll tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing wrt sick pay.
It is a small business, ssp only, but I don't know if I need to request a Dr note?
Am more than happy to pay it just drawing a blank when researching on the Hmrc site.
Can anyone point me in the right direction!
Cheers

Katescurios Thu 30-Nov-17 20:20:15

They can self certify for the first 7 days, after that a fit note from the GP is required.

WutheringFrights Thu 30-Nov-17 20:26:44

Thanks!

Katescurios Thu 30-Nov-17 20:26:51

www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay

MrsScareface2 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:32:53

You need to come up with a sickness policy
Could be something like after first 6m of employment (past probation etc) entitled to full pay for a maximum of 3 weeks/ or three instances of sick whatever is hit first after that ssp/no pay
Whever you put in place needs to be rolled out with a clear commencement date and all employees notified in writing
Might want to look at the other HR policies while your at it!

Collaborate Thu 30-Nov-17 22:53:37

You need to come up with a sickness policy

...or look at what the existing policy actually is.

WutheringFrights Fri 01-Dec-17 00:06:39

The existing policy didn't really exist per se!
No one had contracts let alone a sick leave policy...which means staff expectations start quite low - so the only way is up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now