Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Getting marriage certificate from nyc

(7 Posts)
Jenvf Thu 23-Nov-17 15:41:25

Did the civil marriage in nyc and don't have the original. Now trying to get a divorce. But apparently need the marriage certificate to file for divorce in UK.

Anyone know how to get this done? I don't know anyone in nyc who can do this for me. I also don't have any bank accounts in nyc. The registrars office in nyc wants to be paid by cheque (by mail).

Any info would be really appreciated!.

titchy Thu 23-Nov-17 16:29:13

Why do you need a bank account in ny? Your own bank can provide a cheque in USD.

Jenvf Thu 23-Nov-17 16:49:16

So this is the info on their website.

I think maybe the money order thing I can do... But the additional steps for the certificate to be valid outside of the US seems to require someone there.

Anyway of getting a divorce without the certificate???

All fees listed are by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk. (personal checks are not accepted)

The fee for a Marriage Record for foreign use (extended certificate) is $35 for the first copy and $30 for each additional copy.
This fee includes the search, Certification, and Hand Signature with Raised Seal.
For the certificate to be valid outside the United States, you must complete two additional steps:
Step one: take the document to the nearest County Clerk's Office to authenticate the City Clerk's hand signature, for a fee of $3.
Find the locations of the Offices of the County Clerks
Step two: take the document to the New York State Department of State for the authentication of the County Clerk's signature and the attachment of an "Apostille," for a fee of $10.
The Department of State is located at:
123 William Street
19th Floor
New York, NY 10038

wowfudge Tue 28-Nov-17 08:50:15

The information you have posted states that personal checks are not accepted, so you'll have to pay be card or bank transfer.

As you need to get the certificate authenticated and then apostilled, I would suggest you find a notary public or solicitor to do the leg work for you. It will cost you their fee - ring or email round a few and see what they charge as it is likely to be a fixed standard fee for this kind of admin work - but it's likely to be cheaper than a trip to NYC. Ring the record office - they can probably provide you with a list of agents/notaries/lawyers who you can use as it won't be the first time someone in the UK has needed a copy certificate.

You need to prove you are married before you can file for divorce so without the certificate you won't get very far.

Retrovibes Tue 28-Nov-17 22:32:29

I’d go to NYC! Girls weekend, sounds like you probably need it

Jenvf Tue 28-Nov-17 22:43:36

Nyc marriage certificate does not need to have an apostille to be accepted in the UK.... I found that out.

NYC marriage bureau does not accept credit card or bank transfer.

Yea I need a girls weekend.... But saving my money to get the divorce sorted.

wowfudge Fri 01-Dec-17 23:18:18

Get a notary or other lawyer to do this admin work for you - paying the marriage bureau will be a disbursement. Pay the notary and they then pay the bureau by an acceptable means. I'm sure if you email some notaries and ask 1. can they do what you need them to; and 2. how much will they charge for the job you'll get some replies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: