Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Police bail conditions as of this year question

(5 Posts)
seekerseeker Tue 14-Nov-17 22:44:47

Would really appreciate some help here. A family member was put on police bail 2 years ago has never been charged and has to sign on at police station weekly.
We have just been told by a friend about the new police bail conditions that came into effect from April 2017 that states suspects can not be on police bail for more than 28 days unless a superintendent extends it for up to three months anything more than that the court has to grant an extension.
My question is... is my family member exempt from these new conditions as he was first arrested and bailed before the new changes came into place?
The police station haven’t been much help and can not give a straight answer.
Anyone that could shed some light on to this will be gratefully received.

prh47bridge Wed 15-Nov-17 08:28:57

I'm afraid the time limits on police bail do not apply to your family member as he was arrested before 3rd April 2017. However, he can challenge the situation through a judicial review.

MrsBertBibby Wed 15-Nov-17 08:30:51

A criminal solicitor would know, but I can't believe the new rules only apply to original arrests post April 2017.

I should go straight to the MP. Right up their alley.

seekerseeker Wed 15-Nov-17 13:21:51

Thank you both for your help.

Fenellapitstop Wed 15-Nov-17 23:45:42

The new rules only apply after April 2017, might be worth getting their solicitor to get in touch with the oic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now