Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Are Sanitary Towel bins a legal requirement?

(9 Posts)
Cneasta Mon 06-Nov-17 20:36:02

Hi
My daugther goes to a climbing centre each week and there are no sanitary towel bins in the bathrooms. Do they have to provide them? there is a general (overflowing) bin in the bathroom for general use which is packed with tissues. Not very nice and awkward to go to a mostly male staff and bring it up....

dementedpixie Mon 06-Nov-17 20:39:32

www.initial.co.uk/blog/company-provide-sanitary-bins/ this suggests they should have them

Cneasta Tue 07-Nov-17 09:24:13

thankyou
it certainly does

Orangealien Tue 07-Nov-17 09:28:39

Surely this is only an issue once a month and could be dealt with easily by taking an opaque nappy sack to dispose of the product? I think those sanitary bins are grim, they are full of some noxious liquid and it seems overkill to get one for such a small amount of usage.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Nov-17 09:30:55

That's not the point though. If they have female staff and females using the centre then sanitary bins should be provided by law

Cneasta Tue 07-Nov-17 17:24:38

Yes I agree, they should have sanitary bins for climbers and staff. An overflowing bin where people are putting tissues is not enough to put one's sanitary pads.

BabyOrSanta Tue 07-Nov-17 17:26:52

I know at everywhere I've worked they also have to be emptied in a certain way as they are bodily fluids hence they have their own bin.
So a nappy sack wouldn't get around this as the bodily fluids wouldn't be contained

Thiswayorthatway Wed 08-Nov-17 12:44:10

Sanitary bins are not a legal requirement but all businesses must provide a "suitable means" for disposing of sanitary products. So a normal bin will probably suffice.

Rkd808 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:46:40

No they're not a legal requirement and installing them when they won't be changed frequently can be nasty. Personally I'd raise the fact that the bins are regularly over flowing and should be checked more often, and suggest your daughter carry some disposal bags.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now