Advanced search

Passing on a bequest?

(2 Posts)
heebiejeebie Sat 04-Nov-17 09:12:10

Have been left some money in a will which I don't want. I would like it to go directly to my mother - can I ask the solicitor to do this directly or does it have to come to me and then gift it on?

Thank you for any advice.

prh47bridge Sat 04-Nov-17 11:02:22

You can vary the will so that the money goes directly to her or you can give her the money once you've received it. If you give her the money there may be an inheritance tax liability if you die within 7 years. If you vary the will there will be no inheritance tax liability regardless of when you die.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: