Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Fraudulent loan application

(8 Posts)
HirplesWithHaggis Tue 31-Oct-17 12:18:50

My ds and his ex split about 18 months ago, after a decade-long relationship. It isn't pretty. Today he received notification from a loan company that he has been accepted as guarantor on a loan to her. He signed no such agreement, his "signature" was apparently electronic.

He'll contact the company and Action Fraud, obviously. I understand that the police won't be interested as although it's fraud, the loan company are the victims at this point, and are unlikely to complain. Is there anything else he can do?

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:20:17

Contact the loan company and advise he hasn't signed and it's fraud

pollyhampton Tue 31-Oct-17 12:22:22

Contact the company asap and they will halt the process. My sil did this to me but the company weren't too bothered about it, I was bloody livid!

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 31-Oct-17 12:37:06

Thanks, he's onto the loan company now. Bloody livid, yes, downright fucking furious! angry

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 31-Oct-17 12:48:16

DH's sister and BIL did this to him, but thankfully in the days when it was a signed piece of paper

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 31-Oct-17 13:09:13

Is there any way he can find out if she's done this before? Would checking his credit score show if she has?

AshleySilver Tue 31-Oct-17 13:18:11

Yes, he should definitely be obtaining copies of his credit record and checking them very carefully. If there is anything he doesn't recognise, he needs to tell the credit reference agencies.

He also needs to make sure the reports don't show he is still financially linked to her in any way.

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 31-Oct-17 14:19:12

He's on it. What a nightmare! And thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now