Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Boundary Resolution Pack

(9 Posts)
Autumnchill Mon 30-Oct-17 10:34:30

Having some work done in our garden and hit a problem with our old garage wall that we are leaving in situ but removing some loose bricks and renewing but we’ve discovered that our neighbours garage roof has a felt gully that lent against this portion of the garage wall for drainage. Bit confusing as to how that’s happened as their house and allegedly their garage was built earlier than ours in the 50s so there would have been no wall to put this gully against if that makes sense.

Anyway, we are where we are and we are trying to get it resolved so there is no detriment on their side and all was agreed with the husband, very civilised, about repairs but the wife, well she’s a completely different kettle of fish and simply barks at our workmen and tries to stop works (we had this 3 years ago with her when we were doing our extension).

We want to know where we stand with this wall and establish once and for all ownership as I don’t want to fall foul of any party wall laws plus the front driveway wall has had a bad lean on it prior to us purchasing and if it goes, it’s going against their cars which we want to avoid and despite offering 3 years ago to split costs and have it rebuilt whilst doing the extension, they never took us up on it.

So this morning I’ve rung NatWest who don’t have our deeds, I rung Enact on NatWest’s advice who organised the remortgage and they don’t have them, I’m kind of stuck as to what I do now in establishing where my deeds are.

Any advice as this is all new to us. Or should I just apply online for the Boundary Resolution Pack at nearly £90 and will this definitely tell us who is responsible for the wall in question rather than just the boundary of the property?

AshleySilver Mon 30-Oct-17 15:40:09

I though the land registry don't issue hard copies of deeds any more.

You can get them online

Autumnchill Mon 30-Oct-17 17:15:01

Many thanks for relying but not sure it answers my question.

I know I can get them on line ( but they want £90 so my understanding was that either a mortgage company or solicitor held the documents and if there aren't hard copies anymore, then surely they would have downloaded the documents during the purchase process and kept that on file? By finding out if someone should have these documents and who that should be would be cheaper than paying £90 which I will resort to but want to exhaust every avenue before I part with my money.

I have the Title Register but that doesn't show the actual boundary responsibilities which is the bit I need. On the link you've supplied, would you know which one of those would show me who owns what boundary? I've downloaded a £3 document from Land Registry but it only shows our boundary, not whose is whose IYSWIM so I don't want to keep throwing money at it and then end up having to pay the £90 anyway smile

Any help appreciated

sunnyhills Tue 31-Oct-17 09:26:49

Getting your hands on the original hard copy of your deeds is a bit of a red herring .But you may well be able to get a copy from the land registry - you need the title nos from the documents you've already got .

The procedure is not as obvious as getting the title and plan but it's ok .

The only way I can see to do it is to print off the form and post it with a £7 cheque .I've done it 3 or 4 times for long deeds and its never cost me more than £7.

Or may have a copy on paperwork from your solicitor when you bought your property .

. Anyway IME

It's most likely that the land registry has nothing that clearly shows the boundary - IME they have a plan and a red /blue line but it doesn't translate with any degree of accuracy into real life .

The £90 boundary pack looks like a newly introduced money making exercise .In fact it looks like one of those sites that charges you loads of money to get information that you can get yourself from the appropriate Gov dept . DONT BE SUCKED IN .

Make sure you only use GOV.UK sites with the black header and crown logo .
Use and get a copy of your neighbours
title and plan .

Our neighbours title includes a text reference along the lines of it's his responsibilty to maintain the boundaries on the northern side of the plot marked with a "T" on the plan .

It may be in your case that you can work out the status of your wall . Of course even with shared resp or neighbours ownership it's not always possible to get co operation .

But armed with documents it might strengthen your conversation with the husband next door .You may have to ignore the wife .


AshleySilver Tue 31-Oct-17 09:34:47

We are not talking about the same 'them'.

HM Land Registry is a government agency (note the domain name in my link) that records ownership and related information about land an property. They will not charge you £90 for copies of your deeds.

The site you link to is run by a private for-profit company called Land Search and Data Limited, which was incorporated on 12 January 2017. They charge for providing documents that they have obtained from various sources.

There may not be any document anywhere that says for certain who owns that wall. The land records are not required to be that detailed. Even if you pay £90 to that company, you might not end up with a document that gives the answer you are looking for.

sunnyhills Tue 31-Oct-17 09:35:34

If you have any trouble filling out the form for the deeds or I can help in any way just ask or PM me .

Autumnchill Tue 31-Oct-17 11:37:49

That's excellent. Glad I asked now and didn't part with my £90! I'll follow the government link and see where we go from there.

We ended up speaking to the roofer yesterday (he did the work on our extension) and he knows too well what we have to deal with so between us, the roofer, the brickies and the husband, we are hopefully going to get it resolved so that their garage roof doesn't leak and 'our' wall can be rebuilt and rendered how we want it.

Can't wait for this to be done and the fence put up (on our side of the wall of course) so that we don't have to deal with her once and for all as this concludes our external works....until we want to get the drive done!

Autumnchill Tue 31-Oct-17 11:47:23

Help! How do I know which documents to ask for and am I right it's £7 per document?

Thank you for your help

sunnyhills Tue 31-Oct-17 23:11:15

Just put "deeds" in the column mrked What documents .

I've only ever paid one fee of £7 ..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: