Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Speeding fine

(54 Posts)
Sparklebelle1024 Sun 29-Oct-17 16:51:18

Hi,

I was issued a FPN for speeding today and it’s the first time I’ve ever been given a ticket but I was wondering if I would be able to contest it under the grounds of the details being incorrect? They haven’t updated the gun thing and the time of the “offence” is wrong by an hour due to the clocks going back so TECHNICALLY I wasn’t speeding at that time? Anyone know if I’d have a chance? I almost threw up when I got stopped because it’s not like me at all and I’ve been worried sick about it all day

(SCOTLAND)

PurplePillowCase Sun 29-Oct-17 16:53:02

you've got to be kidding.
just pay and drive safer in the future.

MongerTruffle Sun 29-Oct-17 16:53:25

You were still caught speeding.

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Oct-17 16:54:06

So you were speeding? Not sure why you feel sick? It’s not like you haven’t sped before, you just haven’t been caught before!

OlennasWimple Sun 29-Oct-17 16:54:43

Technically you are probably right. Morally, not so much

Sparklebelle1024 Sun 29-Oct-17 16:56:17

No I don’t normally speed, I was trying to get to my daughter who had taken unwell at her dance class

CatsAreKool Sun 29-Oct-17 16:58:52

No you will look foolish. Please do not contest

TwitterQueen1 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:01:06

Clearly it is like you because you did it.
You are utterly ridiculous to try to contest it. Just pay the fine or do the course.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 29-Oct-17 17:19:07

If you were stopped then no, you won't be able to contest it unless you're willing to pay for legal representation. Had you received a notice in the post with the incorrect time you would have a good chance, especially if you were able to prove you were elsewhere at the stated time.

Basically, it's not worth it. You were speeding, just pay up.

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Oct-17 17:31:24

Don’t believe you! Nobody gets caught the one and only time they have ever gone over the speed limit. Being late isn’t a reason to speed either.

Sparklebelle1024 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:40:36

1- I have a speed limiter I normally use on my car but switched it off because I was trying to get to my unwell daughter, I was NOT LATE, and I’m not the only one in the whole of mumsnet that has ever driven a bit too fast, no need to judge and be mean, I was asking for advice

Sparklebelle1024 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:41:28

And 2- they are doing a big crackdown in the area, yes I was in the wrong but my god calm down everyone I only asked

WitchesHatRim Sun 29-Oct-17 17:47:49

You were caught speeding. You take the cinsequences

Notanumberuser Sun 29-Oct-17 17:48:43

You were speeding by how much?

Anecdoche Sun 29-Oct-17 17:54:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jellybean85 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:54:47

If you had said “I was speeding, I got caught, I feel sick” people would probably have been understanding and sympathised and suggested you learn from your mistake.

You are trying to avoid the consequences of your decision.
Seems unlikely your daughter being unwell at dance class was life or death and you were delayed by being stopped anyway.

bimbobaggins Sun 29-Oct-17 17:54:56

I think the advice you have been given is to accept you were speeding and face the consequences not try to get out of it on a technicality.

gamerchick Sun 29-Oct-17 17:56:08

Take the hit OP. It’s not fair to get away with something because of a technicality. Nobody likes it when it happens no matter how small the thing.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 29-Oct-17 18:03:23

If you’d got this through the post then I’d say you could contest it as it’s an incorrect ticket.

I’m not sure whether it has to be correct if it’s given to you - perhaps post this on the legal section and see if someone knows?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 29-Oct-17 18:03:42

This is the legal section grin

insancerre Sun 29-Oct-17 18:05:19

But you were still speeding
Whatever time it was

WhollyFather Sun 29-Oct-17 18:06:00

You want proper legal advice, not the judgemental, self-righteous finger-wagging you'll get on here.

Sparklebelle1024 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:09:56

Jellybean it is life or death for my daughter she has a health condition but that’s mine and her business I didn’t feel I had to disclose that fact!!
I accept I shouldn’t of been doing it my god I know I was wrong but 34 in a 30 and the circumstances surrounding it is a bit :/ for me and yes I do feel sick about it, I’ve never been in trouble with the law in my life

SardineJam Sun 29-Oct-17 18:11:53

Don't try the upper hand with the police, the consequences will end up being worse

Notanumberuser Sun 29-Oct-17 18:13:04

If it’s life or death then you need to stay there or ensure that the staff at dancing can deal with whatever emergency.

You should raise it with them as they may have been negligent by not ringing an ambulance if it’s life or death

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: