Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I've had an accident at work that wasn't my fault...

(7 Posts)
MishMooshAndMogwai Thu 26-Oct-17 01:19:08

....or rather DP has.

He needs to put a claim in as he is unable to work while his cast is on. He was working on a self employed basis on under the umberella of a friends business as he often does. His friend has agreed to go along with the claim and help in any way he can which is helpful (it was the friend's fault).

My question is, what is the best way of going about it? Has anyone any positive experience of a no win no fee company? I've always thought them too good to be true but have never used one personally. Or is a solicitor the best way to go?

Please excuse the hour, I've just got in from work! (Someone has to earn a crust while he is incapacitated! grin )


kuniloofdooksa Thu 26-Oct-17 03:08:56

I'm confused.

The accident was the friend's fault and the friend has agreed to go along with the claim and help in any way he can which is helpful.

So there is no need to involve the courts at all. The friend whose fault the accident was should compensate your Dh for loss of earnings by paying him a reasonable amount while he is incapacitated.

If you see a solicitor/involve the courts that means suing the friend to force them to do this. The case would then need to be made to prove it was the friend's fault and responsibility. Both dh and the friend lose out because the lawyer fees need to be paid by one side or the other.

Your OP reads like you think there is some kind of public source of funds that people can claim against in this kind of situation. I don't believe this is the case.

Earslaps Thu 26-Oct-17 03:20:25

Would it be the friend’s insurance paying rather than the friend? If so I’d guess you’d need a solicitor? If you have legal cover on your home insurance you could try ringing the legal advice line?

SandLand Thu 26-Oct-17 04:42:59

Friend has budiness insurance? So they need to know what has happened, and process it through that?

MishMooshAndMogwai Thu 26-Oct-17 14:10:31

The accident was his friends fault and he has accepted responsibility. He is covering loss of earnings for now but can't afford to do it for long, hence the claim.

As far as I understand it would be against his insurance.

titchy Thu 26-Oct-17 19:41:24

So the friend puts in an insurance claim. Why the need for a solicitor? confused

babybarrister Fri 27-Oct-17 22:35:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: