Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help understanding wording on Will

(3 Posts)
Legallybitdim Wed 25-Oct-17 10:29:17

Please help. I have power of attorney for my grandad, and deal with his paperwork. I have a copy of his will, I am unsure of what some of the wording means. It has been set up as a trust. I am troubled as he has dementia, and I would like to know (in english) that this will is actually what he wanted.

Gift of the trust

1. My trustees must hold hold the Trust Fund for aaa and bbb as shall survive me and if more than one in equal shares absolutely. If however both of them die before me leaving issue alive, who shall attain or shall of attained the age of 25 years my Trustees shall hold the trust fund for such issue and if more than one in equal shares per stripes absolutely so that no issue shall take whose parent is alive and so capable of taking; and

2. subject to that my Trustees must hold the trust fund for xxx and yyy as shall survive me and if more than one in equal shares absolutely. ......it then repeats the wording above re issue and age etc.

Does this translate as aaa and bbb are the beneficiaries but if they die it passes to their children and if the children die it goes to xxx and yyy?

Or

Is the trust split between section 1 and section 2. Divided out, so to speak.

I hope it's ok to ask. I am purely wanting to understand the wording, my grandad gets whatever he wishes.

Collaborate Wed 25-Oct-17 12:22:37

a and b are the beneficiaries. If one of them has died by the time they inherit the other gets it all. If both have died then their children will inherit between them the share that their parent would have inherited.

If a and b die and there are no surviving children x and y will inherit on the same terms as a and b.

It's too late for you to examine whether it's what he wanted. He can neither revoke the will or make a new one.

Legallybitdim Wed 25-Oct-17 13:47:58

Thank you so much that's what I thought, but wanted it in English. I was struggling with the terminology!

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now