Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Land Registry help

(10 Posts)
Pollyputthekettleon45 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:13:02

Hello!

I need some advice, i've rang my bank a few times and the person I need to speak to it on holiday.

Basically, My nan passed away and has left me her house. No mortage. She has left the house soley to me.
DH and I have been for a preliminary? Remortage app and we can lend £80k to 'do it up'.
Probate has gone through.

Here is my problem, the house wasnt registered on the land registry. It is now but in my name only. Its going to cost money for us, for me to gift half of the house to my husband. Money we dont really have atm as it's been one thing after another.

Can we get a joint mortgage if the house is only registered in my name?
We are planning to sort the gifting once the remortage has gone through.

There was a cock up at the solictors and we are almost 6 months behind as the solictors 'forgot' the paperwork, we want this done quickly as possible!

DancingLedge Wed 25-Oct-17 09:22:29

You'll need to ask your mortgage provider. They may well say no- they'd be lending money to both of you, but only one of you has a surety.

A simple transfer of ownership , for no monetary gain, shouldn't cost very much.

Pollyputthekettleon45 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:25:25

Thank you, i've tried to contact her but theres no reply.
We are just trying to get it done quickly!
Its going to cost roughly £120 and we don't really have the money atm sad but will have to try and raise it if it doesn't go through.

Theres just so much, didn't realise how much money it would cost.

fucksakefay Wed 25-Oct-17 09:32:32

I suspect the conveyancer dealing with the remortgage can transfer the house to you jointly at the same time the mortgage completes and could therefore use the remortgage for fees. However if you don't have a spare £120 I would suggest a short term loan as there are upfront fees such as mortgage valuation and money on account for solicitors. Then repay from remortgage if you must, as long as you have equity in the house.

fucksakefay Wed 25-Oct-17 09:33:57

But no you can't jointly mortgage a solely owned house. But transfer and remortgage could complete simultaneously.
Think of it as buying a house, the house is transferred to you at the same time the new mortgage is taken out. Until that point you don't own the house.

Migraleve Wed 25-Oct-17 09:38:04

You don’t have £120 but you are looking to borrow £80K on this property???

Pollyputthekettleon45 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:40:36

Thank you. Will there still be mortage valuations if its going through as a remortage?

We have paid roughly £3k out to solictors and have been told we have paid everything that needs to be paid?

The form is a ID1 form we need to fill out if thats any help.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Pollyputthekettleon45 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:43:57

Yes we can afford the remortage payments. We are currently renting and paying out to solictors, funerals and land registry.
3 things we won't need to pay for once we are on our feet.

We have had 2 funerals to pay for in 7 months aswell as everything. Basically we have been left in the shit.

fucksakefay Wed 25-Oct-17 21:20:35

An ID1 form is just to certify your ID to solicitors if you are not near enough to bring original ID into their office. I'm a solicitor and I charge £20 to do an ID1 form.

Yes a mortgage valuation will be needed for a remortgage if it's with a new lender but it might be included actually if it's a basic mortgage only valuation

Pollyputthekettleon45 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:35:18

Fucksakefay (love your name btw!) Thank you so much. I couldn't believe they charge £120 for just a signiture! I will ring round a few more solicitors to see if I can get a better price.
I don't want to pay out that much money if I don't need too.

Our bank have already had the estate agents valuation (we've had 2) so will they need more?
Its fine if they do, we have never done anything like this before and its all new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now