Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

selling house without consent

(11 Posts)
Dhbrumsony Tue 24-Oct-17 19:41:13

Recently put a bathroom upstairs and kept the downstairs bathroom. Now wishing to sell as other half is pregnant and we need to move closer to her parents.

I didn't realise I needed planning / building control.

Had all qualified tradesmen to do the plumbing, new drainage and electrician.

New bathroom was finished around 5 weeks ago.

How can we sell the house please?

It's got a window, extractor fan and certificate for the electrics and moving the boiler.

Thank you

OliviaBenson Tue 24-Oct-17 19:43:22

Why do you think it needs planning? Is it a listed building?

You can apply for building regulations retrospectively I think.

Dhbrumsony Tue 24-Oct-17 20:06:27

A local estate agent stated that she thought I needed consent. Not listed.

I think the problem is that the house has now got two bathrooms. Generally when people move a bathroom upstairs, people generally remove the downstairs bathroom.

MountainGoats Tue 24-Oct-17 20:25:16

Planning portal says
‘A planning application for installing a kitchen or bathroom is generally not required unless it is part of a house extension.’
I’d search planning permission and your area and have a look through your local councils planning.

SocksRock Tue 24-Oct-17 20:38:52

Building control consent will be needed for the electrics. No planning permission unless it’s a listed building. If you put new windows in you need either a FENSA certificate or building control inspection.

Ask your electrician for the Part P certificate for the electrical work. If he hasn’t done one, you will need to either get him to done one, or find someone else to inspect and issue a certificate. Make sure whoever you get is a Part P registered installer

SocksRock Tue 24-Oct-17 20:40:29

Sorry, just seen you have the electrical cert. The boiler installer should have registered the installation with building control.

If you have boiler cert, FENSA cert and Part P cert, I think you have everything.

Dhbrumsony Tue 24-Oct-17 20:49:02

Should have stated, sorry. I had a builder knock out around 10 bricks and install a window and lintel. Was in a rush, so I bought a second hand window, but the window is external beading as manufacturers wanted 4-6 to make one. Might have trouble with that.

Sorry I have trouble reading large amount of pages, I have tried doing research, but being dyslexic isn't easy to read lots of pages.

Laska5772 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:53:18

Just call your local planning office/council office and ask to talk to building control. They will tell you and get someone around if needs be. you will probably have to pay a fee for retrospective BC (but you may not need it ).

Dhbrumsony Tue 24-Oct-17 20:54:33

New window isn't over looking anyone or obstructing anyones privacy. It's just a road in front of us, with a field on the other side of the road.

Dhbrumsony Tue 24-Oct-17 20:58:00

Thank you everyone

SocksRock Tue 24-Oct-17 21:01:12

Right, you need building control consent for the lintel and the window. If the window is obscure glass and non opening then you don’t need planning permission for it, as long as the style of the window is the same as the rest of the house.

As you won’t be able to get a FENSA cert for the second hand window, you need to apply to building control for retrospective approval of the window and lintel. Normally you should apply in advance of doing the work.

Call building control and ask them how to do this. There will be a charge and some forms to fill in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: