Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Under what circs would an NRP be able to obtain the RP and children's address?

(11 Posts)
peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 17:35:05

Have been told many times that in case of DV NRP does not have a right to know RP and DCs address.

Quick google shows that he could apply to court to find out. In what circs would that application be successful? Is there any reference to case law re. The lack of legal right to know new address?

The quick Google also shows that there are professional tracers who will find an address within a v short time for a v small fee without the 'target' ever being aware - which leads me to think what the hell is the point of trying to conceal it? It's pointless if it can so easily be found out. Is there anything you can do to prevent these tracers finding you?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 23-Oct-17 17:45:23

You can block your address by various routes to make it hard for the professional tracers.
Firstly decline to be on any mailing lists, use an email address that is not associated with your landline if you have to be on mailing lists.
Restrict your electoral role listing and pay to block your address on 192. By paying to block your address on 192 you will get alerts if any body searches for you.

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 17:51:33

Thanks. Off to 192 now

Collaborate Mon 23-Oct-17 18:04:56

If he applies to court for an order without a method of contacting you (eg service by email) the court orders various agencies to reveal your address to the court. He doesn’t get told it. The court should still keep your address secret from him.

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 18:15:15

Could he not apply for an order to disclose children's whereabouts? He knows the town since he comes here to see them supervised, just not the street address. He's insistent that he has a right to know and keeps telling me so over and over again in written communications, it's getting wearing.

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 18:48:50

He knows my email address and tel number. Does that mean he actually has no need to know street address in any case? He thinks because he has PR he has a right to know where dc live? Have been told before that's not the case - is there any legal reference for this? Why does he not have a legal right to know?

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 18:50:22

(Mobile number that is - not landline, pretty much no one has that)

prh47bridge Mon 23-Oct-17 20:04:48

No, he does not have any right to know where your children live. The courts have decided on what PR means in practical terms. It does not include the right to know where they live, especially where DV is involved. He does not have any legal right because, in the view of the courts, he does not need to know where the children live.

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 20:19:32

Thanks. I will ignore his requests/attempts to find out. It won't stop them coming. We have to have some limited indirect contact about dc. I would like him to not write about anything else and to stop trying to pressure me into telling him where we live. Could it be construed as harassment if just that one element of the contact is unwanted?

prh47bridge Mon 23-Oct-17 20:36:19

Yes, it could. Anything he keeps doing which causes you alarm or distress is harassment if he knows or ought to know that what he is doing will have that effect.

peterrabbitruns Mon 23-Oct-17 22:32:28

Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: