Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child maintenance - no further action from CSA

(7 Posts)
Maria25 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:00:54

I’ve have never ever received a penny from my ex for my daughter. Child maintenance options have informed me that they cannot take any further action other than periodic searches and unless these searches bring any new information they cannot enforce any payments. They are unable to confidently confirm his address apparently. I imagine he is actively avoiding them by returning mail from them and they have said to me in the past that he no longer answers their phone calls. Is their a civil/private action that I can take? I’m so upset that he can just avoid his legal responsibilities let alone financial. My daughter deserves and needs better...

RedHelenB Mon 23-Oct-17 16:33:03

Do you know his Ni number that might help. And contact your no they might put some pressure on the CMS

Maria25 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:38:28

I’ve given them that and his bank details, he’s gone cash in hand self employed and the business is in his mates name even though the business has been named after my daughter! I can’t give them anything else. What does no mean? Thank you for replying. I’m livid that he’s managed to dodge them so far - what’s even more galling is that he lives just 5 mins from us so we have to pass him in the street or see his work vans parked everywhere! Child maintenance seem to have exhausted all their powers. I asked what address evidence I could provide (if any) and they said they would need something from an employer or credit reference check or a electoral roll. There is obviously a huge loophole/crack in the system which me and my daughter have very firmly fallen into...

prh47bridge Mon 23-Oct-17 20:14:49

I think "no" is a typo for "mp".

RedHelenB Tue 24-Oct-17 08:38:33

Well spotted prh47bridge I'm no good with predictive text!

RedHelenB Tue 24-Oct-17 08:39:58

If he's cash in hand though having his address won't make much difference. Unfortunately men can and do get away wit it if they're self employed.

Maria25 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:34:15

Thank you for replying. I’ve calmed down now and had chance to think. From reading online stories, taking someone to court for non-payment of child maintenance is very costly - more than I could afford or even be prepared to pay anyway and on reflection the main reason would be to try and make him face up to his responsibilities which is not my place to do now. My daughter and I will be okay and we are definitely better off without him in our lives which is sad for my bug but true.
I will be emailing my MP and letting him know the predicament and loopholes a self-employed non resident parent can use which hopefully he’ll listen to.
It’s all so unfair and offensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now