Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Feeling really worried I'm about to be accused of something I haven't done

(14 Posts)
Southbeach Fri 20-Oct-17 21:57:12

Bit of background, there's been a major falling out between myself and an old friend. After a huge row the last contact I had with her was in 2015. She's a difficult character and once she has a grudge then she never forgets. I should also add she's upset a number of people in our circle too.

Fast forward to this summer and I find out that she dumped some of my sentimental belongings that I'd forgotten she had. They were items that were easily recognisable as mine and they left out in the rain outside a mutual friends house who found them.

In a fit of temper I posted on FB that I was disgusted they'd been dumped and that I thought she was a horrible person. A few others piled in and to be honest it started getting a bit nasty so I removed the post and eventually forgot all about it.

Next thing a mutual friend of ours rang me to say she was 'out to get me' as someone had told her what I had written on FB and that it was harassment. She tried her best to get a copy of what was written as evidence but she couldn't.

A few weeks after that I received a horrible letter through the post from her wishing me misery and a horrible life after I'd caused her so much upset by posting on social media about her.

I ignored the letter and did not contact her (to be honest I'm a bit afraid of her) and again hoped it would all die down.

Now I hear though a mutual friend (she's making sure to tell the mutual friend as she knows I'll hear about it) that she's having harrassment by silent phone calls, false appointments made for her which the company is investigating and junk mail sent to her address. She is threatening to go to the police.

I can honestly say I'm not the cause of this at all. Ive not made any contact with her directly for over 2 years. It seems strange that this is happening to her all of a sudden after she sends me that letter? Like as though she can pass this off as me doing it in order to build this harrassment case against me that she so obviously wants?

Ive not slept for a week, it's making me ill. I know rationally I shouldn't worry as I've not done anything wrong but it makes me feel so sick to think she's out to now punish me. Is there anything I can do? Will the police investigate her claims? She would not have any evidence of me doing it to her as it simply won't exist as I haven't done anything. Any help?

AlternativeTentacle Fri 20-Oct-17 21:58:59

well, you cant do anothing if you arent doing it in the first place. let her knock herself out.,

OlennasWimple Fri 20-Oct-17 22:04:17

Remember that the onus is on her / the police to prove that you have done something, not on you to prove that you haven't. And it will be nigh impossible for them to do so as you aren't responsible

OSETmum Fri 20-Oct-17 22:07:59

These days the police will easily be able to prove whether it’s you or not!

ZippyCameBack Fri 20-Oct-17 22:10:30

It isn't you, so you could tell the mutual friend that if she is being harassed, she should absolutely report it. Presumably the police will be able to see that it isn't you and that will be an end to it.

JustanotherJP Fri 20-Oct-17 22:14:27

If the police investigate and it wasn’t you then they won’t find any evidence that it was you iyswim. It would only be her word for it. That means it is unlikely the CPS would consider it enough evidence to charge you.

Even if they did charge you and it went to court I can’t see how the Magistrates would have enough evidence to find you guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Just keep notes of contact you have with mutual friend and anything that is said about it. That will help your evidence if it ever got to court.

Southbeach Fri 20-Oct-17 22:15:59

I'm not absolutely sure it is really happening, I'm not sure whether it's being made up just to frighten me as all she's done with regards to phone calls is unplug her landline 'because she's had enough'. Junk mail? Well I get loads of junk mail for things Ive no recollection of signing up for. The appointments made for her with companies well apparently they do know it's a 'female' that made the appointment- how convenient. I just feel like I'm being framed.

sinceyouask Fri 20-Oct-17 22:18:20

If she's as unpleasant as you say, there are probably many people with a grudge against her. Why would it only be you with a reason to behave badly towards her?

Southbeach Fri 20-Oct-17 22:21:59

Yes, I know of a few she's fallen out with. The mutual friend has said she's insinuating it's me though.

Collaborate Fri 20-Oct-17 22:24:30

The phone company can override the 1471 feature, and that’s how they get evidence of nuisance calls. You’ve nothing to worry about at all.

Ohyesiam Fri 20-Oct-17 23:13:14

I knew someone who was being stalked. Silent calls, sitting outside her house for hours , flowing her on for and in car etc and the police did nothing, even with photo evidence.
I think you are unlikely to be investigated.

EllaHen Fri 20-Oct-17 23:14:48

I think you ditch the mutual friend.

MrsBertBibby Sat 21-Oct-17 09:39:03

Tell the mutual friend you don't want to hear it any more, and that she is being used to harass you.

And ignore. You have done nothing wrong.

TreeTopTen Sat 21-Oct-17 10:55:34

I can see why she would automatically assume it was you OP but you've absolutely nothing to worry about as it is very easy to find out who was responsible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now