Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Same water leak problem

(5 Posts)
vickytrex Wed 18-Oct-17 22:01:03

Ours is the other way around! Help ~ We leaked into the flat below, a water pipe behind basin that is really not detectable, we fixed leak as soon as we were notified, we also offered to paint over their ceiling, water mark was the size of my palm, they refused, chose to use their own people.

flat below then wrote a letter claiming over 2.5k, repair work was only 60pounds, the rest are their cost of taking time off work etc. Our building has a group building insurance that covers for escape of water repairs, the flat below need to initiate the claim as the repair is for their flat, they refused to claim on the insurance but want me to pay them directly, am I liable? I read online about proving negligence, I've acted as soon as I heard. Help please. Thanks

Collaborate Thu 19-Oct-17 07:16:22

I seriously doubt it. Look at your lease and check the insurance policy, but claiming for taking time off work on a £60 job is extracting the urine.

Phillipa12 Thu 19-Oct-17 07:38:27

Check the insurance policy then send them a letter that states any claims due to water leakage will be dealt with by said insurance company and to contact them.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 20-Oct-17 15:08:28

No they are not entitled just for you to pay it if there is an insurance policy in place.

However, if it was a stain merely on their ceiling then it isn't just a case of covering that patch it would require stain blocking and the whole ceiling being painted properly, otherwise the patched in area would be noticeable.

They don't want it to go to insurance because they are trying it on.

It won't be a £60 job but neither will it be £2K!! Probably more like £300.

vickyTrex Fri 20-Oct-17 18:08:05

Thanks for all your replies, it said in their letter that paint work was 60£, the area affected was in a small toilet area so painting the entire ceiling was not a big job. T

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now