Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Escape of water

(7 Posts)
MelNoMonalisa Tue 17-Oct-17 22:40:12

My flat has large water stains on the ceiling, it is tenanted, I contacted the flat above us, turned out to be a faulty radiator valve slowly dripping unnoticed. Now my tenant asks for compensation for the disturbance, and there is repair work yet to be done in my flat, can I claim the compensation and repair work from the upstairs owner for causing the damage? What can I claim from the upstairs flat, I.e mine & my tenants' time off work dealing with this. Thanks

endofthelinefinally Tue 17-Oct-17 22:41:30

You need to talk to your insurers.
Presumably you have landlord's insurance.

MelNoMonalisa Tue 17-Oct-17 22:53:54

Thanks, I do have landlord insurance, but it takes very very long and lots of paperwork, can I claim from the guy upstairs directly? Does the law support claiming directly from the other party?

endofthelinefinally Tue 17-Oct-17 22:58:15

I dont know. I suppose you could ask your neighbour to contact their insurers.
Take photographs of the damage and document everything. I dont think you can make your neighbour compensate you. It depends how reasonable they are.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 18-Oct-17 15:16:07

Yes - we had the same happen in a tenanted flat - upstairs shower leaked. However owner upstairs was happy to settle for what we claimed without it going through his insurance.

Write a letter setting out what you are claiming including redecorating etc and ask them to notify his insurance of a claim and for his insurance details. He may decide to pay without recourse to insurance.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 18-Oct-17 15:16:56

Yes the law supports it as damage to your property was caused by a leak from his property

monkeyfacegrace Wed 18-Oct-17 15:18:45

We've just had this. Flat upstairs one of our rentals had the shower leaking for 2 years before anyone bothered to tell us.

They paid us directly for the repair work, but otherwise it would have been a 3rd party claim on their home insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now