Advanced search

Faulty Hob - who to contact

(2 Posts)
ArieltheMermaid1720 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:45:45

I hope this is the right section! I bought a new kitchen 15 months ago and got a hotpoint induction hob. Last weekend the hob started emitting a burning plastic smell and a lot of heat from underneath. It’s now outside of the 12 month warranty, but as I understand it, under the consumer rights act 2015, goods should last a reasonable amount of time. Does anyone know what my rights are here? Who should I be contacting, the manufacturer or the kitchen supply place? Also, do I have to pay for repairs? I’m really cross about it as it wasn’t cheap. Thanks for any advice!

prh47bridge Tue 17-Oct-17 13:11:03

Your rights are against whoever sold you the goods, so you should start with the kitchen supply place. As the hob is over 6 months old, if there is a dispute it will be up to you to show that the hob was faulty when delivered as opposed to the problem being due to normal wear and tear or misuse, e.g. by getting a report from an expert. You can ask the supplier to repair or replace the hob - you must give them at least one opportunity to do so. You can tell them your preference but they can choose which they will actually do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: